Upgrading Tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supradupafast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,
So I am upgrading my established (planted) 10gal to a 20gal that I've had for a while (new).
Here is what i was planning on doing for the first couple weeks. I was going to transfer 100% of the substrates, filters (x2) & plants over to the new 20gal. My question was, should I take the water from the 10g and transfer it to the 20g & then Acclimate my fish (6 Danios) from my 10g to my 20g ?
I hope I don't run into a cycle, but will keep checking my water Params during the first couple weeks after the transfer.
Let me know if I'm doing something wrong as I am planning on doing this very soon.

I forgot to mention, that my 2 filters (for 10g ea) will be inadequate for my 20gal, but it is just to help so I don't get a mini-cycle. I will be removing one of them and replacing it with a new AquaClear 30.

no need to put the water in the tank... i would suggest using buckets though, and dechlorinating the water first, so that you dont kill any of the bacteria in your substrate and plants... once you put the new dechlored water in, let it sit for a few, then start your filters... if you could, running them for about an hour or so would be best, then slowly acclimate your fish over... dont just net them and stick them in, you could still have temp or ph difference, which would not be good for them... drip acclimating would be best... monitor the parameters every day for the first week, then every other day for the next.. once its been good, just periodically check them... shouldnt have any problems... and if you can, add that new filter in as well so it can start building up the bacteria or you will mini cycle more than likely when you remove the others...

Back
Top Bottom