Upgrading tanks - best way to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all -

I need some advice. I have been doing some reading on cycling tanks, but can't decide what is the best way to get my new tank cycled given my situation. Let me explain.

I bought a used 55g tank and stand, and am moving a 3" gourami, a crayfish, and a 3" oscar over from my 20g. I am moving across the country in a year so I am not worried about them getting too big for the 55g tank - I am going to sell them back before I move. I have heard that I could transfer the water from the current tank over to the new one to help in the cycling process, but I am going to keep my angelfish in the 20g, so I can't get rid of all the water.

So what is the best way to cycle my tank? I read that I need to get some hardy fish (like mollies) to put in there to help it cycle, but I also read that I need to get hardy fish for the tank that I want to KEEP in the tank after its cycled. Well, I don't want anything else in that 55g tank, so I'm stuck.

I also read that once the tank is cycled, I need to introduce the fish to it one at a time over a period of time so as not to overload the filter or whatnot. How long is a good amount of time to wait between each fish? Also, doesnt that conflict with a theory I have heard that introducing all your fish together to a new environment will help in them all getting along as opposed to one being the "new fish" on the block and the others bullying it.

As far as setting up the heater in the new tank, should I wait until I put the fish in once my tank is cycled before I start up the heater, and just slowly inch it up to the desired temp over a few days, or get the water heated and ready at the right temp. I ask because there is no heater in the 20g, so it would be a 3-5 degree immediate change if I just switched them over immediatly.

Hmm, I think that is all my questions. Thanks for your advice!

-William

You can move some of the filter media over from the other tank to help speed things along. You can do a fishless cycle or a fishy cycle cycle, just be ready to do lots of water changes if you go the fishy route. I would move some media over do a quick fishless cycle, shouldn't take to long with the jump start and then move your fish.

hmm, the current filter I have on my 20g is a power filter, so the media wouldn't really work with the Filstar XP3 Canister filterr that should be arriving today (at least I don't think it will). Are you saying I should move the entire power filter to the new tank until it cycles? Put the new xp3 in my old tank?

-William

Move some of the gravel from the established tank. If you don't want the 2 kinds to mix, then put them in some pantyhose/stockings and sit them near the filter intake of the new tank.

Oscars grow kind of fast, I think. What kind of gourami do you have? I'd hate for it to end up Oscar food in a few months.

You could transfer some of the water from the 20g, but really the water doesn't hold much bacteria, so it wouldn't be too effective.

Like mentioned above, you can move some established filter media over, if it will fit.

JustOneMore20 said:
Move some of the gravel from the established tank. If you don't want the 2 kinds to mix, then put them in some pantyhose/stockings and sit them near the filter intake of the new tank.quote]

Wow - interesting! Never heard of that!

It is a blue gourami. my oscar chases it a little if it gets in his space, but then the gourami just turns around and chases the angel. lol. It's like once one gets picked on, he feels inadequate and feels the need to pick on somebody under him in the hierarchy. This happens all the time. They will all be fine and happy and dandy, even all up in each others space swimming around, but then as soon as one starts picking on the other, ITS ON!! They all start finding somebody to pick on. :)

I don't want to keep the gourami in the 20g with my angel fish because the angel is getting enough abuse already and he needs to be with some more peaceful guys. I don't mind selling back the Gourami, the only fish I am really attached to is the Oscar - so if thats the best option in peoples opinions I have no qualms about it.

Oh, and I am going to get rid of the chinese algae eater. He was fine for the first couple of months I had him but as they tend to do, he has started to get a little aggressive. I'll take him back to the store. I heard that an "Otto Cat" is a good algae eater - I'm going to try to find one. Don't know if local places have them - I hope so.

-William

And about the heater, go ahead and set the heater up and get everything ready to go. It's just a lot easier to have everything set up before your tank is completely full of water.

Get some bags from Petco or somewhere, I believe they will just give them to you, put 1 fish in each bag then let them sit in the new tank for 15-30 minutes, then scoop them out and release them.

Heat is essential for Oscars. I've got a couple of them. I've had them for around a month and they have both grown 3" making them each about 4.5" long.

As for the gourami, If it's a dwarf and not a giant, it will be fine for a while until your oscar gets bigger, within 6 months or so. After that I might try finding another place for it.

Good luck mate.

Blue gouramis are pretty aggressive, so I think it could hold its own against the oscar for awhile, but like mentioned above, when the oscars mouth gets big enough to possibly eat the gourami, he may go missing. Its probably best to give him to the LFS, if you aren't that attached.

A 55g is really only big enough for the 1 oscar. He may not bother a pleco, if you can find one that won't outgrow the tank, but gets a pretty good size as to not get eaten. If you want tankmates for the oscar, I'd go with a pictus cat or a bigger (3+in) bristlenose.

As for the ottos, yes they are great algae eaters. I hope you are looking for them for the 20g though and not the oscar tank. Those guys would surely get eaten. I would get 3-4 for the angel tank. Make sure you have some algae available to them. When you find them, buy the fattest ones you see. Usually they are the healthiest. You can try to feed them algae wafers, but some won't eat them.

does anybody have any feedback about my delima with "introducing the fish one at a time" thing? Suggestions?

Yeah, I was planing on having the ottos in the oscar tank. Is there an algae eater that will survive with the oscar?

hmm, the current filter I have on my 20g is a power filter, so the media wouldn't really work with the Filstar XP3 Canister filterr that should be arriving today (at least I don't think it will). Are you saying I should move the entire power filter to the new tank until it cycles? Put the new xp3 in my old tank?

I had this same problem...but its not really a problem at all.
The xp3 comes with baskets that are mt so you can add any kind of media you choose....Rings,filter floss...what ever you choose.
I just put a spent/used cartridge from my 29 in one of the mt baskets.
A few days later I added the another.
Within a week I was testing for nothing but nitrates with my highest spike being just above .25 for either ammonia or nitrites.

Also ottos like to school....get three or more....As far as the ottos with the oscar,I would think not...I've never had an oscar,but ottos stay small.I think they will starting looking like lunch on the side of the tank.

does anybody have any feedback about my delima with "introducing the fish one at a time" thing? Suggestions?

Move as much filter media to the xp3 as possible and then throw some gravel/substrate in a nylon>Get the filter running and put the sock in...Then move all the fish at once.If acclimation is an issue then use seperate bags as mentioned.

No need to worry about the cycle in the old or new tank because your moving most of your bioload to the new tank.

Keep the gravel and media wet....just test daily until you see the results you want....You'll get em.

HTH

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Wow, I really appreciate everybodies help. Some great ideas and tips. Yeah, I opened up the xp3 box and saw all the trays, etc. I bought some biochem stars and filter floss to go in whatever tray I am supposed to put them in. Oh - is Polyester Filter "fiber" the same thing as filter floss? Thats what they sent me.

Move as much filter media to the xp3 as possible and then throw some gravel/substrate in a nylon>Get the filter running and put the sock in...Then move all the fish at once.

Okay, so your saying a nylon sock?? Not sure what that is. Put some of the gravel from my old tank in it then put that in the filter in one of the chambers?

I'm also going to put of the old gravel in the pantyhose and set it near the filter intake as suggested by justonemore. Maybe thats the same thing you are suggesting - I'm not sure.

Umm, okay - what else.

This 55g used tank I bought, is it okay just to clean and scrub it with some dishsoap and water before throughly washing it out, or do I need to go hardcore chemical on it?

Also, the guy who sold me the tank threw in an undergravel filter with it, minus the air stones. I'm not sure what I want to do with that. I of course have that filstar xp3, but if it would be helpful and benefictial to run the underground filter as well, I'll do it.

I don't quite understand how they work since it just seems they suck up the water and waste that falls down to the bottom and just spits it back out to the top. I know this increases circulation through the gravel, but it sill doesn't completely make sense to me since its not trapping waste at all, or really filtering it at all. I suppose the gravel is the filter? Or maybe I am missing some parts.

I suppose I could use airstones to power them - one on each side. I really don't like my aquariums to make too much noise though, and the airstones I have make a bunch of noise when "bubbling". I am also concerned that having two uptake tubes spewing out on both sides in addition to running my xp3 will make it look and sound like I am trying to start a wave pool! :) That and if I keep my crayfish he burrows - but maybe thats not an issue.

-William

Catfish

smithw14 said:

Yeah, I was planing on having the ottos in the oscar tank. Is there an algae eater that will survive with the oscar?

I would try a farlowella. Put some driftwood in and you're golden.

Okay, so your saying a nylon sock?? Not sure what that is. Put some of the gravel from my old tank in it then put that in the filter in one of the chambers?

Just new panty hose...cut them to make a little filter bag for a filter basket in the xp3 and add gravel from the established tank.Should work great.(if you did not have such a big filter you would have to add it to the tank,which would work too)

Skip the UGF.

Got the tank up and running. Oscars love it. Crayfish loves it. Everybodies happy. It looks great. Will get some pictures up soon. Thanks everybody for your help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom