Uprgade - Stocking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneata

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my 20 gallon running for about 15 years. I'm picking up a 45 gallon bow front this week and I don't know what kind of fish I can add with the current ones I have now.

Current stock:

1- Albino Tetra
1 - Balloon Molly
1 - Tiger Barb
1- harlequin Rasbora

3 - Corey Catfish
2- Kuhlii Loaches
2 - 3inch plecos

The tiger barb is the king of the tank. He's eaten a few fish I've added and all my shrimp (my boyfriend wants to flush him but I won't let him)

I had 5 barbs originally but the LFS convinced me that an angel fish would be okay in my tank and within a week most of my fish were gone and my angel doubled in size. He went back needless to say.

I want schooling fish like neon Tetras or something bright but also something that can survive with my barb. Or should I take him back too?

Also how many fish can I have in the new 45 gallon? I do 30% water changes bi- weekly and plan on maintaining that.

image-3483626607.jpg

Here's my 20gallon. I plan on making the 45 more natural looking. Might try some live plants too. :)

Attachments

• image-965726367.jpg
    image-965726367.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 50
If those are common Plecos I would suggest trying to find them a new home. They grow very very big and need a minimum of 150g. You should also keep the rasboras in groups of at least 6. The cories and loaches could be added to as well. The tetras should also have a school. The barb is going to cause problems because it might just harass everything. Barbs do better in schools so that they pick on each other and not other fish. My stocking suggestion would be to loose the plecos, add 3 more cories, 5 more rasboras, 3 more kuhli loaches, 4 more "albino" tetras, and 3 more barbs and see how it goes.

If those are common Plecos I would suggest trying to find them a new home. They grow very very big and need a minimum of 150g. You should also keep the rasboras in groups of at least 6. The cories and loaches could be added to as well. The tetras should also have a school. The barb is going to cause problems because it might just harass everything. Barbs do better in schools so that they pick on each other and not other fish. My stocking suggestion would be to loose the plecos, add 3 more cories, 5 more rasboras, 3 more kuhli loaches, 4 more "albino" tetras, and 3 more barbs and see how it goes.

(y) to the above. Increase the number of your schooling/shoaling fish before you add new types. You'll still have room for something else I think.

As far as how many fish you can put into a 45gallon tank. It really depends on what kind of fish, how many, how much filtration you have and how often youre doing PWCs.
You said you do 30% bi-weekly. Does that mean every other week, or twice in one week?

Plug your info into AqAdvisor.com and see what it comes up with. Its not the ultimate authority on what you can and cant do, but its a good starting off point. Its even nice enough to let you know if theres a likely conflict between different species.

As far as how many fish you can put into a 45gallon tank. It really depends on what kind of fish, how many, how much filtration you have and how often youre doing PWCs.
You said you do 30% bi-weekly. Does that mean every other week, or twice in one week?

Plug your info into AqAdvisor.com and see what it comes up with. Its not the ultimate authority on what you can and cant do, but its a good starting off point. Its even nice enough to let you know if theres a likely conflict between different species.

30% every other week. I just upgraded my filter from the original one the tank came with to a fluval C3 which is good for 20-50 gallons. Will that be big enough for a 45 gallon or should I upgrade again? I know for filters bigger is always better.

I don't have very many fish right now and I would definitely like to stay under stocked once I upgrade. Just trying to figure out what will work the best.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I believe they are just common plecos. They have been in my 20 gallon for about 2 years and are both only 3 inches. I didn't know they needed a tank that big. I will return them when I can.

I don't know what kind of tetra my 'albino' is. I was just guessing its type. I looked through liveaquaria and couldn't find it. Maybe someone could ID it?

image-1188824924.jpg

Lastly the barb... Should I add more barbs first then? To minimize the bully's aggression? Will he school with them automatically? He is quite a bit bigger than the ones at the LFS and I don't want him eating any one else. Should I just return him too?

Thanks for all the replies. Upgrading is exciting :)

One more question. If I get rid of the plecos what can I replace them with for algae eaters? What kind do a good job and would be happy in a 45G ?

How sure are you that they are common plecos? To me they sound more like bristlenose or clown pleco can you post a pic?
Once the tank is set I suggest a small group of oto cats, they are great at algae eating and are small with a low bio-load

How sure are you that they are common plecos? To me they sound more like bristlenose or clown pleco can you post a pic?
Once the tank is set I suggest a small group of oto cats, they are great at algae eating and are small with a low bio-load

I have no clue what type they are. I got them so long ago. Ill google the types you said and compare and see if I can figure it out.

Wow, two years? Then they might not be common. Check them out. Ottos would work, maybe 6-8. Also 4-6 mystery snails would work.

Back
Top Bottom