UPS battery backup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we had a power outage recently, not long only about an hour but it got me thinking about the winter time outages that do occur and are regularly off for several hours or even all day long.

I was thinking about adding a UPS to my system but wondering what would you think would be the most important things to keep plugged in?

Filter
Heater
Air pump

I am thinking firstly Air pump, then heater, then filter.....I am thinking that the UPS could run a heater and air pump for a lot longer time than it would with the filter. Obviously the smaller the load the better.

During these outages it is not uncommon for the ambient room temp to drop into the low 60's. So that is why I thought the heater would be a good idea.

I have not suffered any losses as a result of power outages before as they are usually short lived but it just got me thinking about it this morning.

So what are your power outage procedures or suggestions? Anyone do anything special?

The heater has the most power draw. Even a 100W heater would draw 2-3x as much as a HOB (small ones runs 25-50W).

A computer UPS typically has only enough power to allow you to shut down the system. It prob. won't last too long if you plug in a heater.

Better solution is a power box. If you get one for power tools, it should have enough amps to run a tank for quite a while. <Eg. a 60 Amp-Hr box should run a 100W heater (nominal draw 1 amp) some 60 hrs.> These boxes are rather expensive, however.

It all depends on how long your power outages will be. If you live in a rural area where the power can be out for days at a time in winter, it might be better to get a generator. A light duty power box or UPS will run your pumps for a few hours if your outage is brief. For tank temp., you can decrease heat loss form the tank by wrapping it in blankets. Some people have also kept the tank warm by adding a bit of hot water every few hours. <You would want a camp stove or BBQ so you can heat water during a power out.>

OK that makes sense. And I think we already have a generator...or at least access to one. It just usually comes on quickly enough that we don't have to bother with it.

Thanks for the input!

You can make your own, the schematics are readily available online. basicly 3 Lead acid batteries in a box with an inverter set up to turn on when power is lost. And then a powersupply to trickle charge the batteries when the power is good. I made one as an experiment with just the heater running (100w) it stayed viable for about 3 hours. that was on 1 lead acid car battery. You are looking at close to 200USD for the parts if you want to make it for more than 6 hours without power...

Hope that helps.

The filter would be the most important thing to plug in if you're without power for more than a day. If it's not running then you'll start to get bacteria die off and could end up with an Ammonia spike and having to recycle your aquarium.

Good point....that is the main thing I want to avoid....that and stressing the fish more than necessary.

If you are going create the back up without a Proper UPS make sure you use a good Multistage charger else you will quickly fry the batteries, you might charger here and UPS batteries here, you might find buying an old UPs and putting new batteries in the the best and cheapest way forward

Back
Top Bottom