Upside down catfish gonna be floating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried several times to get a picture but man that thing is FAST!!! Anyway, the belly is HUGE!! Looks like its gonna blow!! Just did my regular 25% water change dosed with Prime like I always do. Temp matched the best I could with hands before filling. Feed the Africans every other day.

Before water change

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0.50

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

Did water change approx 1 hr ago.

I

Don't know what's wrong with the fish but those levels are not helping. I would do another 25-50% water change and then test again in an hour or so to see if another needs to be done. With fish in the tank ammonia and nitrites need to both be kept under 0.25 ppm.

blert said:
Don't know what's wrong with the fish but those levels are not helping. I would do another 25-50% water change and then test again in an hour or so to see if another needs to be done. With fish in the tank ammonia and nitrites need to both be kept under 0.25 ppm.

Well I'll go test. I did a water change before. Be back in a few.

A 50% water change would bring your nitrite down to 5ppm.

Another 50% after that would be 2.5ppm
-1.25ppm
-0.625ppm
-0.3125ppm

AND FINALLY -0.15625

(not rocket but hard to grasp for most, including me at first!)

You need your level to be ideally 0 but lower than 0.25ppm is desired.

So I'd try 75% temp matched water changes to reduce the toxicity as quick as poss!

Scouser said:
A 50% water change would bring your nitrite down to 5ppm.

Another 50% after that would be 2.5ppm
-1.25ppm
-0.625ppm
-0.3125ppm

AND FINALLY -0.15625

(not rocket but hard to grasp for most, including me at first!)

You need your level to be ideally 0 but lower than 0.25ppm is desired.

So I'd try 75% temp matched water changes to reduce the toxicity as quick as poss!

Edit: Well that means I wasted my time! Lol well that level of trAtes is ok.

I'll leave this chart here for use.

LoL sorry, but thank you :) been a long day.

I just tested again.

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 10 ppm

That was a 25% water change. The ammonia was borderline 0.25-0.50 at time of change, sometimes the colors are hard to match up with the chart unless it's really obvious. At least for me it is. I'm always asking the wife, does look closer to this? Or this? How about now? This? Or this? Unless it's dead on which sometimes it is. Like the nitrates it's 10ppm no question.

Anyway that's it. Still no idea what's wrong with my upside down cat fish huh?

Hholly said:
Hope your fish is ok.

Thanks holly... Been on google not saying much. Says over eating on some sites and no worries it will go down other sites say a stomach parasite.

Glad to hear your levels are good. How much do you feed him and how often? Have you tried a day of fasting with maybe some blanched peas afterward? That may help if it's constipation. Hope he pulls through.

blert said:
Glad to hear your levels are good. How much do you feed him and how often? Have you tried a day of fasting with maybe some blanched peas afterward? That may help if it's constipation. Hope he pulls through.

Thanks brother. I feed my Africans every other day. He gets the same food as the Africans. He doesn't look good but he is very active.

Well not sure what it was but the bloating is gone... Guess we'll never know. It was really really big but now it's normal.

Hi are any other fishes effected? If not then it could be either some thing its eaten or indeed is an internal infection? Could it be dropsy? I know what you mean about reading the colour on the test tube that's why I don't bother hardly at all!

Back
Top Bottom