Upside Down Catfish - need many? or is just one okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherwood01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought my first upside down catfish yesterday, and only got one of them (in conjunction with several other types of fish) based on the fact that the salesperson at the store said that just getting one of him would be okay. I've since been googling around, and have seen in a couple of places that they're actually schooling fish. :? Are they?

At the risk of overcrowding the tank, and squeezing in one more fish, should I buy him a friend? Or will he be happy enough by himself? I have several cory catfish so he's not the only catfish in the tank, but figure that because they're so different, it's probably NOT like having another upside down catfish to keep him company.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

~ Karen ~

(ps: yes, I'm a board newbie, hi, howareya! :wink: but will officially introduce myself in the Welcome Wagon thread after I get home from work tonight and have more time. But I may be in a position to buy a second fish tonight, if I need one, so wanted to post the question asap. Thnx.)

It's a 20 gallon tank. It's got a male betta, clown loaches, green cory catfish, an algae eater, harlequin rasboras, ("red eye"?) tetras, and a couple of dwarf frogs.

And the upside down catfish.

What KIND is it? Uhhh... This kind? I think this one looks just like the one I brought home last night.

Thanks!

(ps: and I live in Raleigh and work in Cary, by the way. "It's a small world after aaaaaallll!" :lol: )

Attachments

• synodontis_nigriventris_1_201.jpg
    synodontis_nigriventris_1_201.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 910
It really IS a small world after all! :)

So nobody knows if said upside down catfish is a schooling fish or not? Although it may be a moot point, he's not come out from under his rock since the first night I brought him home, not even after I turned all the lights off; it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't survive the move from the pet store. :(

I'm just hoping he's not perpetually hiding because he's lonesome.

Some places don't mention that he's a schooling fish, others say if you put more than one they WILL school, but don't say that you NEED to, and other places say you should get more than one...

That particular species (S. nigriventris) is a schooling fish, and are much happier kept in groups. Most Syno's are larger species, not particularly social at best, but the dwarf species are a different matter.
Shy fish tend to be more comfortable/visible if provided with plenty of cover. The more places they have to hide, the less they feel like they need to do so.

I think the UPSD cats do better in groups.

BTW, Unless you're going to buy a 125 gallon tank, find a new home for the clown loaches, they will get huge

if it were me, i would get rid of the clown loaches, which do not belong in a 20gal, and get another 2 upside-downs. they will be much happier (and more entertaining!) like that. also, your cory would appreciate some buddies for the same reason - cories like a school of 3 as a minimum.

LIkewise iwould also do the same thing ,displace clown loach with featherfin upside down catfish. But it is advisable not too put too many of them( 2 will be fine) as catfish are agreesive towards one another

Like the others have said, the clown loaches will need a bigger tank. They don't stay small forever. ;) I feel guilty for keeping two in my 55 gal.

If you can find a new home for them, then it would probably be a good idea to get 1 or 2 more upside down cats.

I agree on returning the clowns as well. I woudl also return the cory and the algae eater which I am sure is either a Chinese Algae eater or more likely a pleco. Most will get too big or too aggressive for such a small tank.

Get a few more upside down cats for a small school and then a couple of more rasboras.

7Enigma said:
The $20,000 question....was this tank cycled before adding all of these fish?
Yes, very much so. It's not a new aquarium, I've had it for at least 5 years. And not all the fish I listed were added all at one time, I've had the clown loaches for a good couple years now, the betta for probably about 3 months or so and the tetras for longer than that. The reason for the restock is that a few weeks back, the thermostat in the tank went kablooie overnight, the temperature shot up past what the thermometer could read, so I know it was more than 86 degrees, and I woke up that morning to a bunch of dead fish at the bottom of the tank. :cry: The fishies I just mentioned were the only survivors, and the tetras still don't seem quite right, although they seem to be doing better since I added the new fish.

But thanks for all the great advice. :) I actually lost one of the rasboras within the fish guarantee period, so since I had several of those, when I exchanged him for a new fish, I got another upsidedown catfish to keep the other company.

Everyone seems happy now. 8)

7Enigma always has some big money questions! You answered it so I'd take him up on collection! :) ***He's got that much in change.***

smn723 said:
7Enigma always has some big money questions! You answered it so I'd take him up on collection! :) ***He's got that much in change.***

Let me just go melt down some of my gold bars I use as plant weights and we'll settle up. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom