Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Urgent!! Filter broke down!!!

So I've been medicating my betta for popeye and he's not better after the treatments but I was going to put my carbon insert back in anyway cause I'd been running the filter without the pad. I did a water change just now and when I went to turn the filter on-with a new pad in it- it wouldn't run. I tried replacing the brand new filter pad with another brand new one but it still wouldn't work. I don't have any airstones or any other form of airation besides the filter. I have no idea what type it is cause it came with the aquarium kinda like a package deal. It's given me trouble before but it never stopped working for this long without any obvious problem. I took a paper towel to the insides where the pad was supposed to go and it was very dirty. But even after I cleaned it it wouldn't run.I don't know what else to do. I don't have the money right now to get a new filter. Any ideas on how to fix it? Will magma (my betta) be ok till I can get it working again? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pics would help

Old 10-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don' use a carbon filter pad when you are medicating. As long as you keep up on water changes you should be fine. testing the water will help you know how much you should be changing.
Check the hose part as when cleaning, it could be clogged in there as well.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I know not to use carbon filters while medicating. I called my mom up and she came in and took the whole thing apart. It managed to work kinda when she plugged it back in but it probably won't work for much longer as the flow is really weak. Hopefully it will make it through the night. My mom took matters into her own hands and ordered a new one just in case this one stops working again. Thanks for your all your help!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Next time pull the impeller and clean it along with the housing. You should periodically pull your filter apart and clean the gunk out of it.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you so much! Didn't know that but my mom did remark that there was lots of red gunk in my filter. Will be performing regular maintenance from now on.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When mine stop working or the flow is noticeably lower I pull it apart and clean everything. Get yourself a set of aquarium brushes of different sizes. They work good.

Tags
filter, urgent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com