Urgent Help!! Hot tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's stinking hot here already at 10.30am and my tank is already running at 30 degrees!!

Is there a way to cool it?!!

Can I float a bag with ice water in it - I don't want to shock my babies!!

I know some people run fans on their tanks. Where are you anyway? It's winter here in CO....

Do you have a plastic ziplock bag? Just put some ice cubes in it and let it float in your tank. That should cool it off. I usually just plop ice cubes straight into the water, but we have really good water where I live. I just put tap water straight into the tank!

Start with two jugs, like gallon ones for water or juice. Fill them within about three inches to the top and stick them in the freezer. When they're solid, throw one in the tank, when its melted switch it with the other one. I had to do this one summer in a house with no ac, it's a pain but it works.

Start with two jugs, like gallon ones for water or juice. Fill them within about three inches to the top and stick them in the freezer. When they're solid, throw one in the tank, when its melted switch it with the other one. I had to do this one summer in a house with no ac, it's a pain but it works.

I did just this for all of my tanks. I had approx, 20 liters of water in my freezer at any given time.

Putting ice in is a waste of time it will melt as fast as you put it in

Here when it's summer and temperatures are high, we run a air-conditioner for cooling the appartment.

My tank stay at 24-27C° without running heater.

2 options for long term hot temperatures: Cool the air in the piece, or cool the water via aquarium water chiller (that's really expensive, so I'll invest in a cheap air cooler instead of only cooling the aquarium, it will cold yourself too).

Short term solutions, juste put ice directly to the water, it wont harm.

Putting ice in is a waste of time it will melt as fast as you put it in

Speaking from experience this isn't true. My temperature here in the house was mid to high 90s for a week (tank hit close to 90) and two liter bottles of ice kept the tank in the low 80s the entire time. It takes quite a while for a frozen solid bottle of water to melt.

I'm up in Queensland (townsville) and it gets hot up here as well , buy a chiller , using a fan on the tank helps, rotating freezer blocks through the sump helps a little bit but I've also got the aircon setup to run during the hottest part of the day. Thick curtains on windows to block out direct sunlight. My tank runs between 24-27 dec C, I hope you can keep your temp cool on your tank.

Putting a fan on the aquarium stimulate evaporation, and evaporation is an endothermic reaction, so it take the heat from the aquarium to evaporate, so it "cool" it a bit.

Buy a cheap air-conditioner =D It will keep you cold too

Be sure that if you freeze ice cubes to put directly in the tank to put some dechlorinator in it- and don't mix it up with regular ice cubes that you use in your drinks! :)

I never put dechlorinator in ice, and I can easyly add 1 liter not dechlorinated to my 29 without any issues...

I put dechlorinator only if I fill 1 gallon or more... If tap have 4ppm chlorine, and you mix 1 liter with 29g, you get 0.02 ppm of chlorine, or less :p No enough to kill any BBs

Back
Top Bottom