Urgent. Leaving for 2-3 days.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome.

If you had more time I'd suggest setting up a slow release drip system, with flow slow enough to take 3 days to empty the container. Then dose the container with enough ammonia to make your tank 9-12ppm. That would add 3-4ppm slowly over each day.

I like the auto feeder idea too if you could make it work.

Awesome.

If you had more time I'd suggest setting up a slow release drip system, with flow slow enough to take 3 days to empty the container. Then dose the container with enough ammonia to make your tank 9-12ppm. That would add 3-4ppm slowly over each day.

I like the auto feeder idea too if you could make it work.

That's an awesome idea.

Okay, so I left her two tubes with a little ammo (enough for 1-2ppm in each, I never dosed 3-4ppm daily and it never caused me trouble), one for Thursday night and one for Friday or Saturday night. I used the API tubes that I use for testing, so she can just dump it in easily...do you think these will be forever contaminated with ammonia, or will a 24 hour soaking in water take most of it out?

So, after all the worrying about getting the ammonia ready for her, I forgot to dose into the tank. Hit me hard when I woke up this morning.

img_1179982_0_65419b5ed6c99a277c8d19958a14a245.gif

So.

Did the cycle survive?

Yes Neilan, it did! I'm getting fish on Friday, but am unsure what I am doing for plants just yet (check out my thread in the planted forum). Pretty phenomenal that it survived. I went over 48 hrs without dosing. Today is the final test to see if everything is good to go, and I am going to test for nitrates as well.

When I returned on Sunday, ammo was zero along with the rites, and she dosed on Saturday night. So things seem like they are finished. Let's just hope I don't go home tonight and find that ammo never went down from my dosing last night. This seems highly unlikely, though.

Yay!

For future reference, sprinkle some fish food about a week before you plant to be out of town. That will release some ammonia and limp your cycle along.

Back
Top Bottom