Urgent!!!! Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did a 70% water change and the only thing I did different was i forgot to use Prime as I was refilling. I let for about 10 after finished, and when i came back, all my fish are laying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily?????

I quickly added a double dose of Prime, and 10 min later there has been no change, what else can I do and why did this happen????

I change the water every week and this has never happened???

HELP

Ok, now some are on the bottom, some are hoving at the surface, grasping for air?

Were your filters turned off when this happened?

If they ran with the untreated water in the tank, you probably nuked your bio-filter.

Were your filters turned off when this happened?

If they ran with the untreated water in the tank, you probably nuked your bio-filter.

I did change my filters, but i have bio wheels, should't that hold some of the bacteria?

Meave said:
I did change my filters, but i have bio wheels, should't that hold some of the bacteria?

The biowheel does hold most of the bacteria but with the filter running chlorinated water for 15 mins you definitely did some damage to it and stressed the fish out a lot. What kind of fish? And do you always do a 70% water change?

I've done that before, but only do 50% changes regularly... I didn't experience any issues, though I suppose the amount of chlorine/chloramine in your tap may be higher than mine. I would agree that all you can do at this point is wait and hope for the best.

I did that a few weeks ago... I didn't do as well as eco.. I lost almost everything... :/ I'll never do it again though, I can tell you that.. Luckily I hadn't turned my filters back on.

3 down so far, I hope I don't loose any more :(

I would add some dechlorinator just incase there is any left. If anything it will decrease the amount of stress on the fish

Back
Top Bottom