Urgent!!! Plz read!!! Possible leak!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. Ill get right to it. the towel underneath my tank is damp. Damp enough that i notice. Im worried about a possible leak. This is my 20 gallon, my favorite one. Ive removed rocks and other heavy stuff. Asking for advice-please respond. If there is a crack, its on the bottom.

Take everything out, put the fish in a bucket, then start to take the water out and check for leaks. If there is any i suggest you to locate your fish in a better place that a bucket (another fish tank if you have) buy a proper silicon and fix it.
Silicon will take not less than 24 to get dry.

I had a 20 gallon crack on me last year. I went to walmart and bought one of those 18 gallon Rubbermaid tubs and transferred my fish, filter and heater to that while I found a replacement tank. They lived in the tub for about 6 days with no issues.

I would check your filter to see if it is overflowing before you go all crazy. Also, run a dry paper towel around the seams to see if a seal burst.

I had an AC50 leak on me when one of the mesh bags was hanging out the side of the filter.

Is the water level noticeably lower?

My only add to above would be to Reseal the whole tank since If on part let go I'm sure the rest will follow if you can check Craiglist or Petco sell 10 gallon tanks cheap as a temp replacement or you could even use a Rubbermaid tote. Make sure you use Silicon without any mold inhibitors meaning Nothing for Kitchen & Bath....windows and Doors are ok.

GE1 for Window and Door or at Home Depot in the Acrylic section sells 100% Silicon only.

thanks for the great advice all. heres the deal. water level isnt too much lower. no overflowing filter. ive marked the water line. hasnt gone down. im flipping out inside. havent transfered fish yet. im thinking the following. I need a good solid stand. ive been using my bureau for this tank so i could admire it from my bed. my othre tanks are on homemade stands. could slap together one real quick, or get an actual one. im afraid my rocks and stuff on my bureau is what did it. im going to drain the water in a couple of minutes. could i get the procedure on that? will keep informed.

combing out gravel now. quite a bit of suspicious looking brown floating material... anyway, im not seeing a crack... did the sealent peel off i wonder??? any advice???

scrath that. theres a crack in that corner of the tank. the sealing was exposed when i went looking around for it. how much is a 20 high with no accessories at petco??? with my gravel saved, id like my fish in the tank again by tomorrow night.

scrath that. theres a crack in that corner of the tank. the sealing was exposed when i went looking around for it. how much is a 20 high with no accessories at petco??? with my gravel saved, id like my fish in the tank again by tomorrow night.

Forget petco, check craigslist. 10 and 20 gallons are a dime a dozen there :)

Oh that's not good! Yep, check your local CL. If you play your cards right, you can get tanks dirt cheap. Just ask them to fill it with water to prove it holds first:).

found a good looking 20 gallon. 5 bucks!!!!! still need parents permission...

LIke Tetra1990 said, make sure you have them fill it so you know it holds water. Personally I keep tank silicone on hadnd so I can re-seal any tanks I bring in from CL, but thats just me.

make sure you water test......Craig lists or any used tank. The seals can wear if left in extreme temps over time, (like outside or in a garage or Attic). I have bought a bunch of used tanks and always water tested for hours.....

Back
Top Bottom