URGENT: Power Outage: help with canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's been a power outage at my apartment (about 1 hour know), after a quick google search I've read toxic compounds can build up in my canister filter. It says to clean it & change filter pads before it goes back on - please confirm? Is there anything else I need to do?

Also, it may start running again before I get back in (this would be approx. 3 hours max after power failed) - do I need to worry about my fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No need to worry or panic at all.

Ive often turned my filters off in the evening during feeding and forgotten to turn them back on until morning. No ill effects at all

I've had a power outage here for around 6 hours. It was winter so tanks got wrapped in towels.

No losses or ill effects. It's fine no need to worry.

If you are dyin of worry over there get a battery powered air pump to aerate the water.

Caleb

Thanks guys! The first two articles I read online said 3 hrs would be enough for the buildup of toxic chemicals in the canister filter, but I guess they were exaggerating.

Temp will be fine, I've left the heater off for days to lower the temp before and it only moves 1-2 degrees a day.

Back
Top Bottom