Urgent question on prime dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I got my first bottle of prime today and whn I read the instructions it says 5ml for every 200L of new water.

I change my water in 10L buckets so this would mean 0.25ml per bucket??

Surely that can't be right can it?? Any help much appreciated *confused.com*

I'm at work so can't look at my bottle..... but don't bother doing it in your buckets. Just figure out how much water you're changing out of the tank, then figure out your measurement for that one amount, then toss the Prime in the tank before you start to refill.

That's a tiny teeny bucket.... not even 3 gallons.

On another note, get yourself a python. Buckets aren't worth it unless you're trying to build up your biceps. ;)

That's correct. Prime is a very concentrated dechlorinator, so you don't need all that much to successfully "treat" a water change.

The good thing is that Prime is not all that dangerous in higher concentrations - so here's what you can do: Add the total amount of Prime for the PWC to the first bucket, and then you shouldn't need to add any to the following buckets (if you're doing more than 1 bucket).

This is what I do for my 8gal tank - since my water changes are basically a couple pitchers - I just put the Prime into the first pitcher and the rest are just refills.

Hi Maestromad,

I think you did the math correctly. When I had smaller tanks I sometimes used a dosage eyedropper into the 2 gallon pitcher I was using...then I learned that one can dose as if for the entire tank and then aid the new water without dosing per unit. This is what one does when using a water python for a water change when it's impossible to dose as the water travels down the hose.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks guys! I thought I was going a little crazy then. I wished I'd got the smaller bottle this 500ml one will last me for ever! I thought about dosing prior to adding water but the bottle says its best to treat each add of water. It's only 4/5 trips depending on how much I want/need to change so it's not too much hassle.

At least I know I'm not gonna harm the fish, I was panicking that I hadn't added enough! I shall find some teeny weeny syringes to make it easier :D

Maestro Look for a dosing syringe that one would use on an infant when they are giving them cold medicine or tylenol or other liquid medicine. Usually those have metric and standard measurements on them.

You could make it easy on yourself and just add 3ml of Prime whenever you do water changes. That is the Prime dosage for the entire size of your tank.

So add that to the tank before I refill?? And that wouldn't harm my fish? I got prime as everyone seems to use it on here but it's really odd when I'm used to adding 2.5ml of conditioner per bucket lol!

When we do our water fills using our python, we dose the tank before, during or after the water is replaced, it just depends on what else we're doing with tanks.

It will not harm your fish.

Thanks for your help. Im gonna have to do anothe change in a day r two so at least I know how much to put in :D

I'm at work so can't look at my bottle..... but don't bother doing it in your buckets. Just figure out how much water you're changing out of the tank, then figure out your measurement for that one amount, then toss the Prime in the tank before you start to refill.

That's a tiny teeny bucket.... not even 3 gallons.

On another note, get yourself a python. Buckets aren't worth it unless you're trying to build up your biceps. ;)

What is a python and were can I get some I am sick and tired of carying buckets accross the house.

A python is one brand of 'power' syphon that hooks up to your sink. Turn the water on and open the valve and it creates a suction that takes water out of your tank. Close the valve and the water changes directions to fill your tank. I have one for my 55g and I love it. It makes the pwc's and gravel vac duties much much easier

I looked it up on line and I won't work for me. My faucet is very modern and I can't screw it on any suggestions to make it work.

It dosent have any threading at all? Usually there's a cover over the threading, just take it off, you might need an adapter for the siphon.

Drain the amount of water out that you want add prime directly to the tank. ( one capful treats roughly 50 us gallons) let sit for about 3-5 mins add back in the temperature matched water. Keep in mind you want to treat the total volume of the tank not for the amount you replace.

Back
Top Bottom