URGENT Snail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted in the amphibian section before, but got NO replies. This is very urgent. I need to know if an African Clawed Frog will eat a large snail. I can't keep up with algae, the tank is is sunlight and we can't move it. So I figured a snail would help with cleaning, an get me to the point of control. Thanks in advance.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I don't have a snail yet. I'm asking the question so that I can find out if I can get the snail. It would just be a mystery snail.

Yes they will be fine I would much rather get an assasin snail just because mystery snails if inseminated can produce young for a long amount of time because they can store the sperm.

caj52 said:
Yes they will be fine I would much rather get an assasin snail just because mystery snails if inseminated can produce young for a long amount of time because they can store the sperm.

A lot of it in my choice has to do with availability in my area. The mystery snails are the most readily available in my area.

If anything go with black or blue mystery snails because golden snails at pet stores are occasionally apple snails (they market them as mystery snails)which can breed crazy

By the way, does it matter if I get only one, or can they still have babies?

Their not asexual but if they have already breed with another snail they can have babies for a few months otherwise no just make sure you get one that's not being humped haha seriously though

I would highly recomend a nerite snail, if you can find one. Even petco has been carrying them more often lately. They only reproduce in brackish water so you never have to worry about a snail outbreak. They are also safe for live plants. Plus they just seem more effecient on the algea. If you can get a big one their shells are really thick, they seem to be really tough. From my experience with snails I also really feel like they have a smaller bio-load than an apple or mystery snail. I've never had an ACF though..dunno if he'll try to eat one!

siva said:
I would highly recomend a nerite snail, if you can find one. Even petco has been carrying them more often lately. They only reproduce in brackish water so you never have to worry about a snail outbreak. They are also safe for live plants. Plus they just seem more effecient on the algea. If you can get a big one their shells are really thick, they seem to be really tough. From my experience with snails I also really feel like they have a smaller bio-load than an apple or mystery snail. I've never had an ACF though..dunno if he'll try to eat one!

The nearest petco is an hour away. Petsmart is the closest of that type of store. I don't know if I can find one.

How big is your ACF? You can get some snails large enough to be left alone by them (at lease for a little while).
My ACF bugged and tried to eat snails, but was only successful with small ones

Morgie said:
How big is your ACF? You can get some snails large enough to be left alone by them (at lease for a little while).
My ACF bugged and tried to eat snails, but was only successful with small ones

He is about two inches long and hasn't gotten any bigger for about a month. Were upgrading soon.

Back
Top Bottom