Urgent!!Sponge out of filter into new one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My filter impeller just packed it in - it's 1.38am and I didn't need this to happen now - I have a HOB filter that can go in the tank - if I take the sponge out of the broken filter and stuff it in the hob - will my tank still be cycled??

Thankyou!! I hope they will be ok, it's my cichlid tank.
Bizarre I was asleep dreaming the tank was overflowing and woke up to hear the impeller making a racket!! I shot out of bed so quick!!

Yes, better than nothing, if most of the tank BB are on this sponge... Probably the tank will remain cycled. Do you have a kind of gravel bag, or ceramic bag in it ? This is the heart of the filter...

It's a very good reason to have backup impellers or filters. I have 3 spare impellers incase they break on my filters.

Yeah dawg, if it's only a "sponge filter", a lot of BB are on the substrate. The worst thing would be a mini-cycle... Nothing too harmfull if you don't have shrimps.
i was going to say without a prefilter sponge, sand will trash impellers real quick..

i was going to say without a prefilter sponge, sand will trash impellers real quick..

It depends the filter he got... In my canister this cannot happen as the impeller is after all filtration.

Prefilter material + prefilter sponge + bio + fine particules filter moss then impeller ^.^

The aqueon quiet flows never seem to have a problem with sand either to me. I have been using them for years.

It was an internal aqua one brand so only had the sponges - I've always had my doubts about it - yes sand substrate - I'm glad I had the HOB filters as a back up, but will definitely get spare impellers after this!!

As of the past two years I've only had saltwater tanks, all the hobs I use are aquclear and quietflows, never had a single problem with either, and all we ever have in SW is sand.

Back
Top Bottom