Using a powerhead as a diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I currently own a Aquaclear Powerhead 30

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004

I've recently upgraded my lights and I'm thinking about CO2 injection. I'm going to make a DIY CO2 soda bottle generator, but I'm just tossing between buying (too lazy to make :roll: ) a reactor or just using my existing powerhead (the venturi valve) as the diffuser. I know (well, think) using the powerhead will reduce the efficiency of the CO2 I'm injecting into the tank, but my tank is only 20g.

I'm just curious, if I opt to go for the powerhead method, and I use a 2L soda bottle, will it suffice?

Cheers

No, unless you collect the smaller bubbles shot out of the PH and keep them circulating in the water until they dissolve.

Getting CO2 into the water is ALL about keeping hte bubbles in contact with the water, and moving. If you can rig a gravel vac tube to the powerhead's output side, and then stick a sponge in the bottom, that'll work.
Just pumping it into a venturi, you'll lose about 90% of your CO2, and yes that'll mean even a 20g won't have near enough CO2 for a high light environment. If you're over 2wpg, CO2 is real important to keep at good levels.

Also, one bottle may not give you enough consistant CO2. Perhaps consider a second bottle with a staggered start time. Since, you say your too lazy to make a reactor ;-) Then perhaps buying is the way to go. It's a matter of money vs time... which do you have more to spend :fadein:

In that case, I intend to buy a commercially available reactor since I'm not exactly "one with tools'.

Can any1 recommend me a brand/model of a reactor that is ok for this sort of thing. I heard on some forum that Sera is no good (which unfortunately for me is one of the easier brands to get hold og)

I am also considering making one of these (dont want to drop the cash on the real thing). I have a large protien skimmer....Now obviously it wont skim any protien in a freshwater tank, but what about using it for the C02? It is specifically made to circulate bubbles in the main chamber before recirulating the water back into the tank. It injects air into the water, but I could close that valve pretty easily. Would that work?

Hmm I don't know much about protein skimmers but this is a good idea. Especially since it would be external from the tank!

scarf wrote: "but my tank is only 20g."
This is a terrible excuse for inefficient co2 diffusion! Please take Malkore's advice, or spend $$ on one! You will be happier in the end due to the time/$ spent. Also consider 2x2liters, my 20gal didn't get enough with just one!

Basically the way it works is this...you have a cylinder with a power head pushing water and air in....you have a collection chamber at the top and a outlet for the water (they are seperate from each other). If I were to shut of the air, it would swirl the water around in the chamber before it released back into the sump. The release dumps the water directly on top of the power head. That means that alot of of the water will be recyled through the chamber. The CO2 would also have to pass through the impeller of the power head..I would guess that would work well for breaking it up...correct?

workfortheman said:
Hmm I don't know much about protein skimmers but this is a good idea. Especially since it would be external from the tank!

scarf wrote: "but my tank is only 20g."
This is a terrible excuse for inefficient co2 diffusion! Please take Malkore's advice, or spend $$ on one! You will be happier in the end due to the time/$ spent. Also consider 2x2liters, my 20gal didn't get enough with just one!

Yikes, I thought this post was dead. Since then, I have decided rather than buying a CO2 unit I'm going to make one:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61764&highlight=

Back
Top Bottom