using a quarantine tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ap0ll0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a question - does it still make sense to use a quarantine tank if I'm planning on getting more of the same type of fish from an LFS that I got the others from only a week ago?

I've always planned to get a QT before my next additions, but since all I want to do at first is up the numbers of the species already in there, from the same stock, not very long after, it almost seems like whatever very minimal risk I'd be taking not using a quarantine tank would be pretty much countered by the additional stress of two tank transfers, keeping them in a smaller tank initially, and leaving the numbers of fish on both sides below the minimum recommended for shoaling/schooling

perfectly happy to quarantine but just questioning in this scenario whether it is necessarily the right thing to do

One one hand, QT is something you can control. Necessary in this case? Good question. You might be fine.
What you cannot control is the source. Within a week or even a few days there could be changes at the LFS that you might not be aware of unless you know what new stock has arrived since then. Stock may have been moved from one tank to another. Use of central filtration and/or UV sterilization may play a role here.
Hope this does not add to the confusion :(

Quarantining Fish

Hi,

I have a question - does it still make sense to use a quarantine tank if I'm planning on getting more of the same type of fish from an LFS that I got the others from only a week ago?

I've always planned to get a QT before my next additions, but since all I want to do at first is up the numbers of the species already in there, from the same stock, not very long after, it almost seems like whatever very minimal risk I'd be taking not using a quarantine tank would be pretty much countered by the additional stress of two tank transfers, keeping them in a smaller tank initially, and leaving the numbers of fish on both sides below the minimum recommended for shoaling/schooling

perfectly happy to quarantine but just questioning in this scenario whether it is necessarily the right thing to do

Hello Ap...

I've never quarantined my new fish, but I know the source to be clean and raise healthy fish. You can take steps to ensure you get healthy fish by following a short checklist. Notice if the fish is active and swimming with the rest. Good activity and social behavior. Erect fins, with no rips, tears or bite marks. Shows good color, clear eyes and smooth skin. No patches of discoloration, bumps or marks. Natural breathing, with no signs of stress. Most of this this pretty much common sense.

I also add a bit of standard aquarium salt to my planted tanks. Most parasites that can infect fish don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water. If you follow a sound tank maintenance routine, that includes large, weekly water changes, the possibility of an infection is very unlikely.

B

Back
Top Bottom