Using Aquarium Salt in Freshwater Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have this milk carton-looking thing full of API aquarium salt . . . and I don't know what to do with it, or even why I would put salt in a freshwater tank. I originally bought it to try and use it for Ich treatment (I couldn't make that work).

Yet, when I was last at my LFS, I noticed that every tank had a covered plastic cup full of aquarium salt in the back corner of the tank - it was like the cups that bettas come in, with holes drilled in the lid. There must be a purpose for aquarium salt, but I can't seem to figure out what.

Enlighten me? How should I use my carton of salt?

It's good for treating disease, thats about it. I think i've heard that it helps if nitrite levels get high, but not sure on that. The reason LFS use it is because most of them have ich on their fish 100% of the time, the good ones dont have to ;)

The reason LFS use it is because most of them have ich on their fish 100% of the time, the good ones dont have to
i am unsure how you make some of your blanketing statements like this.... while they do do it in hopes to prevent the spreed of disease... saying most lfs have ich in their systems 100% of the time is fully wrong.

aquarium salt is just table salt nacl. it does have its purpose as a medicane so keep old of it.

I didnt say all lfs have ich in their tanks 100% of the time. I said if they use it, its mostly because they have ich. The good quality lfs that have good stock dont have to use it ;)

aquarium salt is just table salt nacl.

Not entirely true. Table salt has an anti-clumping agent added to it. This substance is harmful to fish. Never use table salt in an aquarium, except to pre season your fish for dinner ;)

i am unsure how you make some of your blanketing statements like this.... while they do do it in hopes to prevent the spreed of disease... saying most lfs have ich in their systems 100% of the time is fully wrong.

aquarium salt is just table salt nacl. it does have its purpose as a medicane so keep old of it.

Not really.... if they've had it once, it's in there. Just most likely dormant. Any centralized system with available hosts (and LFS can't afford to NOT stock fish) will have it. If their stock is healthy, it won't present. That doesn't mean it's not there.

Not entirely true. Table salt has an anti-clumping agent added to it. This substance is harmful to fish. Never use table salt in an aquarium, except to pre season your fish for dinner ;)

Non-iodized, pure table salt is available. I believe it's kosher to use that. ;)

Wow, I had no idea that salt would be so controversial! ;)

So, I should just be saving the aquarium salt for when my fish get Ich? Salt is not a regular part of maintaining an aquarium?

Some people run a little salt (1 tsp per gallon or so) regularly, others use it only for treating disease, others won't touch it. It's really a personal choice. I've had luck with it. I'll run a little bit as a stress reliever when I add new fish. I'll also run it when I'm treating disease. Haven't had to do it much, but aquarium salt cleared up mouth fungus on my rainbows very quickly. Basically aquarium salt adds electrolytes that the fish use to build up their slime coats. Think of it as a kind of Gatorade for your fish.

In the past I would add salt to my FW tank. Over the years I have gotten away from it.

If you were to go out to a local stream or pond you will find some level of salt in the water. Salt is a natural part of any eco system. Some fish like more than others.

IMO it is up to you and to try it and see if your fish like to have some or not.

Everytime I buy fish from Petco, (who always has the salt in their tanks) I never get Ich. Petsmart, in my area, never has salt, and I always get ich. I recommend using freshwater salt, because when I used to buy it, I never had problems in my tank. Is aquarium salt safe in planted tanks?

I don't buy fish from chain stores and never add anything except for Prime. We have about 40 FW tanks running now with fish ranging from apistos to shellies. Just to present a case for "anti-salt" success.

Not really.... if they've had it once, it's in there. Just most likely dormant. Any centralized system with available hosts (and LFS can't afford to NOT stock fish) will have it. If their stock is healthy, it won't present. That doesn't mean it's not there.
yes but just because a store is tossing in some salt doesnt mean it has ich or had it before.

might want to check out daves article on ich.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1285.0

I thought certain fish needed salt water to thrive in. Like Silver-tipped sharks. I heard when they get older into their adult-hoods, they thrive in saltwater. Is that true or not?

adding aquarium salt isnt the same as adding the salt needed to make brackish water or full marine salt water. there are some fish that are born in fw but need to be moved to bw or sw as they age.

Everytime I buy fish from Petco, (who always has the salt in their tanks) I never get Ich. Petsmart, in my area, never has salt, and I always get ich. I recommend using freshwater salt, because when I used to buy it, I never had problems in my tank. Is aquarium salt safe in planted tanks?

Correlation does not necessarily equal causation. ;)

The quality of the fish you have available locally depends largely on which suppliers are sending fish to the stores. I've seen fish come in covered in ich time and time again with one supplier, then switch suppliers and the same species come in looking great.

Salt is no good for planted tanks, and not good for much IMO other than ich treatment.

Ok, I have to add one thing to this. As for plants and salt:

My 80g is a brackish water tank. I now keep my salinity at 1.009-1.011. This is a heavily planted tank. My plants are doing better in that tank, without the use of any ferts than in my FW tanks with ferts. So to say plants and salt don't work is incorrect. Not meaning to sound like I know it all or anything HN1, but on this one I hate to say you are wrong. There are plants that can be used in a BW system. Some people use the aquarium salt for BW systems, I prefer reef salt. I doubt that makes much of a difference.

As for adding salt to a FW tank, IMHO, I do agree with HN1, unless you are treating for illness there isn't much point. I do, on occasion, soak my nets in a mixture of aqu.salt and hot water. But that's it.

Generally speaking, plants and salt do not mix. There are some tough plants that can tolerate it though. Glad you're having success with a planted brackish tank. Most don't. :)

Back
Top Bottom