Using Aquarium Salt in Freshwater - Testing Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjbass

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that you can use a Hydrometer or a Refractometer to test salinity levels. I have been treating my 210 freshwater tank with API Aquarium Salt as my smallmouth bass has a little fin rot. I have been doing the one tablespoon per 5 gallons and when I do water changes I figure on about how much water I take out to replace the salt. However, I want to make sure that it isn't too salty or not salty enough to treat my fish.

How do I test this?

My ph dropped from 6.6 to 6, so I think that I may have too much salt in there and it brought it down.

You have to modify a regular SW salinity meter to read in the low salt levels used. I read it somewhere & can't find the article ATM. It involves drilling out part of the balancing arm & then calibrating the unit to read in the 0.1 to 0.5% range.

Another alternative is to buy a TDS meter. That is pricey ($100). But if you measure the TDS reading before & after salting, the difference is your salinity.

If you have access to a laboratory balance (able to read weight to 1/1000 or a gram), you can calculate the density of water by weighing it.

When I salt, I go for a much simpler approach. I calculate the density by weighing the salt & knowing my water volume. Eg. I have 400 liters of water in total in my tank. To get to 0.1% salt (good level for treating fin rot) I would need to add 1g per liter or 400 g in my tank.

When I do water changes, I fill the tank up to the original mark to account for evaporation. Then I change out a certain volume of water & replace the salt in that volume. Eg if I remove 100 liters, i would add back 100 g of salt to maintain the 0.1%

Wow, great information. Thanks so much!!!

I will look into modifying a salinity meter I think, but your method sounds good too. Let me review that and I will let you know if I have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom