using backyard rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently cycling a new 5g tank for a betta and the decorations are a bare minimum, only 2 plastic plants I pulled from my 10g. I have heard of people using rocks from outside for tank decoration, but what rocks will work? I've never tried this before and I don't want to mess things up, but the tank looks pathetic and I have no extra money for decorations as I already owe my parents quite a lot of money. If I rinse them, do a vinegar bubble test, and boil it, how likely is it to be safe?

Very likely. My only issue is I had some rocks pass vinegar test then months down the road they got really dusty and I eventually moved them to my reptile enclosure.

You can, depending on what kind of rocks you find. The big things to avoid, I think, are limestone and anything that might have absorbed pesticides (sandstone, maybe).

Don't boil them. Every so often you'll get a rock that has water inside, especially if it's pulled out of a well-watered garden, is permeable like sandstone, or has cracks, and if that turns to steam it can ruin your day in a hurry. Pour boiling water over them or treat with bleach instead. A good scrubbing never hurts.

I had already boiled them before I read the replies, but nothing bad seems to have happened so far. I'll let them sit out for a while before putting them in.

I put two hunks of granite from my yard in my tank. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom