Using bleach to clean rocks for tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I picked out a couple rocks from our yard that i want to stick in my tank, I'm worried that perhaps some grass fertlizer has been on these rocks from time to time. So i rinsed them off, and have them soaking in a bleach solution, 8 cups of water, and a cup of clorox rain clear bleach. I just want to make sure this won't have any neggative affects on my fish. Also, once they're done in the solution, should i just give them a good rinse and they'll be ready?

abrage22 said:
Hey, I picked out a couple rocks from our yard that i want to stick in my tank, I'm worried that perhaps some grass fertlizer has been on these rocks from time to time. So i rinsed them off, and have them soaking in a bleach solution, 8 cups of water, and a cup of clorox rain clear bleach. I just want to make sure this won't have any neggative affects on my fish. Also, once they're done in the solution, should i just give them a good rinse and they'll be ready?

NO! Don't do it

Give them a good rinse and let them dry. They will be safe to use.When bleach dries, the only residue left is salt. I bleach everything that goes into my tanks.

Okay, why not? Ive heard of many people using bleach before...

It's fine as long as you give the rock a good rinse and then I'd put them in water treated with de-chlorinator / water conditioner. Some members have done it with good success.

Straight bleach and then into the tank would've been trouble if you did it that way ... but you didn't.

I use a vinegar solution for a soak, then run them through a dishwasher without soap using a heated dry cycle. Final cold water rinse just in case any residual soap was in the dishwasher, then let them air dry over night.

Back
Top Bottom