Using craft mesh and moss to make a cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure if its doable or if anyone has ever thought of it, but I was thinking of cutting 2 pieces of craft mesh to form an arch for the moss, and then tying them together with another piece of mesh on the bottom that will go under the gravel.

Thoughts?

I tried to make a moss trellis, tied it on with fishing line, but my fish kept picking it off. :( I know if you use thread, it will desintigrate and you won't have to worry about removing it.

Try it, I've seen some pretty crazy things done with moss. I'm sure it may work, given enough time.

Keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out. I wanted to do the wall like Dragon did but I am contemplating if I can pull something that crafty off. I think a moss cave would be awesome!

Keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out. I wanted to do the wall like Dragon did but I am contemplating if I can pull something that crafty off. I think a moss cave would be awesome!

You would basically start it the exact same way as a moss wall, except, instead of sitting the wall against the back, use fishing line to "sew/tie" one end of the wall/arch to another piece of mesh (the bottom). Then after you get that side, do the other side. After you have both sides tied down, you'd get a little arch with a mesh floor. You'd put it in the tank and then cover the floor with gravel, which then anchor the whole thing down.

In Theory! anyways...;)

Edit: Obviously, its also going to be smaller than a moss wall too.

I'm still waiting on my moss, so it'll be a bit yet.

I like super glue over thread or fishing line. With my sausage-fingers, I struggle to get plants tied securely. Moss is even worse. I've attached a dozen java ferns and some java moss to driftwood with super glue and they're all growing nicely.

its possible though a better idea would be just to use a coconut cut in half. and make a hole. you can also use tetracotta pot too. this will make it more stable then just mesh.

its possible though a better idea would be just to use a coconut cut in half. and make a hole. you can also use tetracotta pot too. this will make it more stable then just mesh.

True, but I haven't seen many coconut shells the size I'd like, and imo pots look a bit tacky.

Back
Top Bottom