Using driftwood I found in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I use would that I found in my tanks and if so how do I treat it I've heard all you have to do is boil it? Is that true? Also do I have to watch out for sharp pieces and if so what is considered sharp to fish? I would really like to transition from fake wood to driftwood in my planted tank but driftwood is crazy expensive around here!

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just boil the dw depending on the amount of tannins it releases just keep boilin or soaking it.
On the sharp bits just do a light sand over with some sandpaper on any bits that are a bit rougher that could tear their fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've used found wood for years.

Use a wire brush to get off the soft outer wood. If the piece is too big to boil, soaking in hot water will do.

It takes some time to get the tannins down to level where your water won't turn brown. Put the wood in a 5g bucket or larger container and allow it to soak, replacing the brown water with clear weekly. As stated above, smooth out rough edges that would damage the fish.

This process may take months but the result is well worth the wait.

I boiled a log for about 12 hours just kept replacing the water every two hours and that took all the tannins oh of it. Most of the rotting stuff came off immediately but because it was a log that termites had hollowed out for me I got out a needle file to pick bits and pieces off from their tunnels.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406150186.915249.jpg
Each is about 8 inches long but I've since broken them up and created caves with them

Using Local Driftwood Pieces

Can I use would that I found in my tanks and if so how do I treat it I've heard all you have to do is boil it? Is that true? Also do I have to watch out for sharp pieces and if so what is considered sharp to fish? I would really like to transition from fake wood to driftwood in my planted tank but driftwood is crazy expensive around here!

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello New...

Boiling will soften the piece and it won't hold together in the tank as long. Any piece boiled or not will eventually come apart, but boiling hastens that process.

If you're concerned about parasites or bacteria, you shouldn't. Just rinse the piece with the pressure nozzle attached your garden hose and put it out in the sun for a few hours. It will be tank ready.

You should probably look around for some rocks too. You'll need them to weigh down the piece in the tank. Although, floating the piece looks good too. Just attach some banana plants to it with cotton sewing thread. Very natural.

B

Thank you all very much I've found some really nice pieces I have been wanting to put in my tank glad to know I can!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom