Using Eco-Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am ready to add my Eco-Complete sand and need some feedback. Our water system adds ammonia to our water (great huh). I used the Prime but still getting a low reading between 0 and .25. Do I want some ammonia in the water for the bacteria in Eco-Complete or do I want to add more prime to wipe out all ammonia?

Prime doesn't wipe out ammonia, it converts it to NH4+ (ammonium ion) that can still be used by bacteria as a source of nitrogen. Also, after you add Prime you should see the same level of ammonia in your tank after you test. The ammonia test will also pick up ammonium ion. Your best bet is to make certain that your water in your tank is acidic, that way the ammonia will go to ammonium ion, and won't be harmful to your fish.

You test the ph of the water. Above 7 is alkaline, below 7 is acidic. 7 is neutral.

You test the ph of the water. Above 7 is alkaline, below 7 is acidic. 7 is neutral.

OK - cool, so my pH hovers in the 6.4-6.8 range so my water is acidic and that is good regarding ammonia. Okay...I am beginning to understand better now, thanks! ;)

Back
Top Bottom