Using Garden Rocks in Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I found some large rocks outside that I was considering putting in my African tank. I'm not sure if they've ever been sprayed with insecticide or weed killer over the years. Is there any way to make them safe to use just in case?

Boil them and let them dry. Or I boil mine then stick them in the oven.
Hey guys,

I found some large rocks outside that I was considering putting in my African tank. I'm not sure if they've ever been sprayed with insecticide or weed killer over the years. Is there any way to make them safe to use just in case?

Never ever boil a rock. Unless you have something safe to contain a possible exploding rock.

Scrub the rock weekly and soak it in water from your tank water changes in a clean bucket. Test for heavy metals.

After about a month use a snail test pilot in the bucket with said rock. If after a week the snail is still on patrol, the rock is probably safe.

Last edited:
Never ever boil a rock. Unless you have something safe to contain a possible exploding rock.
I always boil my rocks. Pan of boiling water place them in for couple of mins kills any bactia ect ect then dry them in the oven. Then soak in DC water. Never had any uses and I have a family member who is a chemist and a geologist and they say it's safe

Boiling can cause rocks to explode due to air pockets expanding with heat, just a fact it could happen... is dangerous of course if it does..

NEVER boil SW rocks or rocks which lived on SW tanks for the Palytoxin issue. This is never safe ever.

Thanks for the advice! I've decided to just get some rocks at my LFS. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Back
Top Bottom