Using Grapewood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a knot of 'Grapewood' from petsmart, sold for reptiles etc. Is grapewood safe for aquariums?

So far I've yet to get it to stay sunk, so I'm soaking it in hot water currently, changing it w/ new hot water every few hours. Would boiling it help it sink faster?

I'm also wondering, if my pleco rasps on this grapewood, would that prove to be fatal? Or have any ill-effect?

TIA guys (and gals)

It is safe for the tank and pleco, but getting it to sink will be quite the task....it will take considerable time for it to become waterlogged sufficiently to sink.

Some of my driftwood came with attached suction cups that work really well. Just put a screw in the wood (stainless steel ideally) and then put a suction cup on the head of the screw.

i'd consider nailing it to a peice of slate or flat heavy material, the flat slate can then be covered with gravel, leaving only the wood visible

i'm confused... i have seen dozens of threads with people telling grapewood buyers to throw it away immediately, but this time it's safe? i have also seen webpages that say grapewood is not a true wood and will rot in your aquarium.

Really? Oh man. I'm getting mixed vibes. I'll look it up. But in the meantime, can anyone else chime in? With anything?

search for grapewood threads in these forums, you'll find heaps of advice against it.

Grapewood will decompose (as will any wood, in time), but slowly enough (albeit more quickly than Malayan bogwood, Mopani wood, or aged hardwoods) that it should not cause water-quality issues if one is doing regular and sufficient water-changes. It is, however, not toxic.

Anyone care to show a pic of grapewood?

Edit: stupid question but is grapewood actually wood from grape vines?

I have grapewood from petsmart in 3 tanks with no ill effects so far (3 months now). No visible signs of rotting or decay yet, either.

Hmm..

Btw bs6749, Yes, it's from grapevines, it is wood from where the vines become thick and knotted.

I have lots of branches/roots from wood at my lake, I'm usually not very discriminant with wood. But that was before I was really into the hobby.

I have finally gotten it to sink. I'm really debating whether or not to use it. It is heat-cured, no other chemicals listed.
For the past week I've had it soaking, it is not slimy or rotting. I cant pick any wood off at least. It is leaking lots of tannins, and it smells good, kind of grapey :lol:

So if the grape wood does not work in the tank, you can chop it up and use it on the grill. It has an interesting smell and flavor. :)

grapewood

Hello Grapewood can be an beautiful addition to your tank.I have had and seen pieces in tanks for well over 8 years.It does take a little prep work to make it work
1)Presoak for up to 3 weeks to keep from "teaing"the water.If you boil it,it will be fine immiedatly
2)Until water logged wants to float,so weighing it down for a couple of weeks is a must
3)For the first couple of weeks it will sometimes develope a slime on it,wash it off and put wood back in the tank ussually after the 2nd or 3rd time it will not come back
4)It will naturally drop the ph, so depending on your fish this may need to be countered
5)As hard as it may be to believe I have seen no evidence of wood breaking down and I have seen some pieces that have been in water for over 8 years
If you have any questions or you are a member of a society and would like some pieces donated for door prizes or research please email me
Thank You
grapewoodguy
thegrapewoodconnection.com

Anyone care to show a pic of grapewood?

Edit: stupid question but is grapewood actually wood from grape vines?

12085-albums125-picture867.jpg

That is the piece I had in my tank. I removed it after a few days because it started to grow white hairs and the wood started to rot. Note, thats actually two pieces of grapewood.

I wouldn't want this stuff anywhere near my tank. It looks like white hair algae all over it within a few days.

ok i went to this page and it said that itll rot and get all moldy. but it said if you spray it with polyurethane etc, then it would be fine. Not sure though....

Just a note to those posting, the members that posted in this thread originally may not respond as the thread is from 2007. All new posters are likely to respond. Just wouldn't want anyone thinking the original posters are being rude. :wink:

I wouldn't want this stuff anywhere near my tank. It looks like white hair algae all over it within a few days.

That what stuff is actually quite common with driftwood. It is a fungus that will use up the nutrients in the wood fairly quickly and disappear. In the past I have had good luck with ottos, ghost shrimp, and even just scrubbing it off.

Back
Top Bottom