using household sponges to clean aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was looking for a good sponge to clean aquariums with the other day and I noticed that ALL of the household sponges specifically say "not for aquarium use" on them. Is that because of the antibacterial natures of them? Do I have to buy a special expensive aquarium sponge or something?

I don't know what all additives they put in the sponges. Certainly there would be some kind of fungicide or antibacterial agent. Stuff to keep them moist and preserved on the shelf. Also, in my experience, these sponges foam up when wet. I would spend the extra buck for an aqua sponge.

I do believe that most sponges sold today do have antibacterial agents added to them to keep them from molding when not in use. Not to mention that north america is on a "anti-bacterial" kick and everything seems to kill 99.9999% of all bacteria.... I too would spend the money for the "real" thing.

By the way, is this for cleaning the inside of the glass?
If it is, the cleaning magnets are worth their weight in gold. Before I had one I thought they were just a waste of money, but after buying and using it, I don't know what I was thinking using anything but....

I have a cleaning magnet that works great, I just wanted one for general purpose for other things in the tank. Hoses, wires, airtubes, whatever.. I'll just add an "aquarium" sponge or some sort of abrasive cleaning utensil to my next order I guess.

Can anyone tell me what makes a 'cleaning' magnet a 'cleaning' magnet and not just a, um, well, magnet? :D

I've actually been wondering what people safely use on the outside of their tanks - I do recall seeing 'NEVER used Windex anywhere NEAR your aquarium' - so what then to remove all the water spots after pwcs?

(no hijack intended. ;))

cJw said:
Can anyone tell me what makes a 'cleaning' magnet a 'cleaning' magnet and not just a, um, well, magnet? :D

I've actually been wondering what people safely use on the outside of their tanks - I do recall seeing 'NEVER used Windex anywhere NEAR your aquarium' - so what then to remove all the water spots after pwcs?

(no hijack intended. ;))

HIJACK!! Actually this thead is meant for cleaning.. I've been using this:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/saeaaqcl8oz.html

The problem is that it does not dry clear. It will definity break up any hard water buildup but it's hard to keep the glass clear with it. What are people using to get that extra clear look you seem to only get from windex?

A magnet is something like this:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/magfloat350.html

Basically it's just some velcro looking material attached to both sides of the magnet. The magnets are super strong and really do work quite well. The best part is the piece you place in the tank floats, so you don't have to go fishing for it (excuse the pun) when you're done.

i have tried using household sponges for cleaning and nothing went wrong the fish went on happily.They work ok but not as good as pet store brands!!!!

cichlid555 said:
i have tried using household sponges for cleaning and nothing went wrong the fish went on happily.They work ok but not as good as pet store brands!!!!

Use the wrong sponge once and you will kill everything. And you would probably have to break the entire tank down and bleach its or use alcohol on it.

I have used cheapo plain paper towels with good success.

wishbone said:
Basically it's just some velcro looking material attached to both sides of the magnet. The magnets are super strong and really do work quite well. The best part is the piece you place in the tank floats, so you don't have to go fishing for it (excuse the pun) when you're done.

Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused; how does a magnet 'attract' algae from the tank walls? Algae is magnetic? :eek: 8O

It is actually two magnets. One side is covered in felt for the outside of your tank so it won't scratch the glass, the inside is covered in either scrubby material or, my magfloat is covered in a bumpy rubber material to rub off the algae. The magnets attract each other through the glass and form a tight seal. Moving it across the glass, rubs the algae away. The magnet doesn't attract the algae.

Fluff said:
It is actually two magnets. One side is covered in felt for the outside of your tank so it won't scratch the glass, the inside is covered in either scrubby material or, my magfloat is covered in a bumpy rubber material to rub off the algae. The magnets attract each other through the glass and form a tight seal. Moving it across the glass, rubs the algae away. The magnet doesn't attract the algae.

Yeah what fluff said. =) Sorry I meant two magnets.

LoLs - ok, thanks for the explanation - it seems rather duh now, but I'm a little slow today. (baby has an ear infection; two nights w/out good sleep sucks.)

Ear infections suck. I got a really bad one at 6 months old. Before my mother could get me to the hospital I got a fever of 105.5 and had a seizure. Luckily the fever didn't do any brain damage but it did do hearing damage.

Not to scare you because cases like mine don't happen very often.

cJw said:
LoLs - ok, thanks for the explanation - it seems rather duh now, but I'm a little slow today. (baby has an ear infection; two nights w/out good sleep sucks.)

ugh I'm sorry man, that can be rough. (for you and the kid)

Back
Top Bottom