using lead weight to sink veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

ok, ive ordered a veggie clip, just waiting for it to get in.. but i saw someone post this somewhere else:

to sink food that floats all you need is some fishline and a lead weight.

is the lead safe to use in an aquarium? I had thought about using something out of the tackle box (without a hook of course) but afraid the lead might release into the water.

I'm not too sure, but I too thought that it isn't too healthy if you keep lead in your tank over an extended period of time. Maybe 1-2 days is ok though, the time the fish need to eat the veggie.
I personally use a construction with a paperclip. One end goed through the veggie, other end goes between tank hood and glass to keep it stuck. It's a bit more difficult then veggie clips, but it's cheap :lol:

I use those lead weights that have the fluted crease in one side (I can't remember what they are called but they look like little Pac Mans). I take one and pinch it to a brass fishing swivel clip. The swivel clip serves as an attachment point for veggies and such. After I think the fish are finished I grab it with my long aquarium grabber thingy with the pincers on the end. If you look in a tackle box you can find lots of useable stuff.

I wouldn't think introducing any element into an aquarium is a good idea unless you know exactly what you are working with and everything about it. In other words, if you're not sure then why risk it? Personally, I would either wait it out for the veggiclip or find another way as I would be far too concerned with the potential of lead defusing into the water. There's always another way ;)

By the way, I don't think that the guys designing stuff to go into tackle boxes are designing it with the fish's best interest in mind. Also, if in the wild one gram of lead was released into a gigantic lake (even to a point of total diffusion) it is highly unlikely it would disturb the water's balance. Imagine that happening in an XX gallon aquarium.

It's your call though :)

Joe

I just started feedin vegs to my otos, and I didn't do anything but make the veg a little bigger than I need, then cover the bottom half w/ some gravel or a rock or somethin. :shrug:

worked. :D

I personally wouldnt use lead in my aquarium.. maybe if they were sealed weights with a paint or something... I definitely wouldnt put a weight small enough to fit in one of the fish's mouth.

I wasn't planning on using the lead, just saw someone else suggest it in another thread and thought it was odd. Thanks for the input everyone.
p.s. i like the paperclip idea :idea:

I have weights that I use in my aquarium that are lead free. If you go to the fishing section in Walmart or Fredmeyer, there are different weights that say lead free on the package.

I have always used a "chip clip" myself (one of those plastic clamps to keep your doritos fresh) and I have never had a problem.

Let's stir the pot a little. The website offered by RoK has lead weights that hold down plants for what I can only assume is a long time. My lfs has offered these to me as well. So, is lead all that bad or maybe thatpetplace or my lfs are ignorantly selling this stuff to unsuspecting hobbyists like myself.

dax29 said:
Let's stir the pot a little. The website offered by RoK has lead weights that hold down plants for what I can only assume is a long time. My lfs has offered these to me as well. So, is lead all that bad or maybe thatpetplace or my lfs are ignorantly selling this stuff to unsuspecting hobbyists like myself.

1) Many of these 'lead' weights sold these days are actually zinc, not lead, despite the name/label.

2) Lead, especially short-term, is not particularly reactive with cool, fresh water anyways.

remember when (long long ago) we had lead plumbing? theres a reason why we dont use them anymore....because lead diffuses into the water making it not safe...for humans at least.... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom