Using mirror for background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone used a mirror for a background or know anyone who has ? Im thinking about it but im curious to know how to fix it to the back of the tank? Any input appreciated

tmdavies said:
Has anyone used a mirror for a background or know anyone who has ? Im thinking about it but im curious to know how to fix it to the back of the tank? Any input appreciated

U can buy a mirror like film.... You glass isn't rated to hold that adhered to your tank:)

U can buy a mirror like film.... You glass isn't rated to hold that adhered to your tank:)

Hello Georgia :)

You can get some film like she said. Once you have the film take some cooking spray and spray it on the back of the tank. Place the film on it and then with a credit card, smooth out the bubbles. You will not have to reapply the application! Hope this helps!

Thanks to both of you. What is the film like is it as good quality reflection as a mirror?

I would think a mirror like image would be stressful for the fish. Let's say you go and put your handsome face to the front of the tank. Well, you'd also appear at the back of the tank. Wouldn't that be weird for any shy species you may have?

Also, wouldn't it also reflect the whatever's in the room opposite the tank? For example, let's say you have your washer/dryer on the other side of the room. Wouldn't that appear in the back of your tank?

See where I'm going with this? :ermm:

LyndaB said:
I would think a mirror like image would be stressful for the fish.

Imagine a mirror on the front AND the back. You'll have some fish tripping out.

What about putting the mirror in the outside of the tank, up against the glass?

Some tanks are manufactured with a mirror background. We used to have one. The fish didn't seem stressed by it at all, but it didn't really suit our aesthetic preferences so we ended up selling it.

What kind of fish do you have? Some fish I wouldn't recommend like bettas. I had a Betta in a tank with a mirrored back and all he did all day was fight himself. When exhausted he'd go into hiding so the 'other' Betta couldn't find him. I had to move him to a different tank.
I could see a schooling fish could work wonderfully in a mirrored tank but anything territorial might get overly stressed by the 'other fish'.

Thanks everyone for your help. Im to curious to see what it looks like, i figure its worth a try. Iv ordered a custom shape mirror will post pics when its finished. My tank is still a work in progress im also waiting for my plants to arrive but hers a pic. If my betta has a problem ill move him.

Attachments

• image-196079232.jpg
    image-196079232.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,748
  • image-3609545466.jpg
    image-3609545466.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 546
Thanks heres some pictures of them a couple of months ago before i changed my tank

Attachments

• image-3444677738.jpg
    image-3444677738.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 195
  • image-250824444.jpg
    image-250824444.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 154
  • image-829748799.jpg
    image-829748799.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 153
Ok my mirror has come and its on the back of the tank. What i did was move the tank forwards 6mm so the mirror can sit on the cupboard and no weight is on the tank. My rummy nose love it but my rams and angels arnt very pleased hopefully they will get use to it if they dont ill remove it

Attachments

• image-2366363791.jpg
    image-2366363791.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,132
Im very pleased with the look my tank looks brighter bigger. Looks like it has twice as many plants in aswell

Attachments

• image-3003171107.jpg
    image-3003171107.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 367
  • image-1008319629.jpg
    image-1008319629.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 289
I tried a mirror behind my 55g and it looked cheap and definitely didn't give the desired effect. If u have success show pics please? :)

Back
Top Bottom