Using peat to lower ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I just noticed the thread (I like to respond to the posts one at a time) and after seeing them I would avoid them for sure. The big one looks like it has a cloudy eye/poor shape, several of the other ones look thin (early signs of internal flagellates), and they are poorly shaped and colored as well. You can get MUCH MORE for your money. You can find MUCH NICER fish for that price or a little less. You can save money by getting all 3.5" fish and growing them out, which is what most discus keepers would recommend you do anyway.

Okay, I just noticed the thread (I like to respond to the posts one at a time) and after seeing them I would avoid them for sure. The big one looks like it has a cloudy eye/poor shape, several of the other ones look thin (early signs of internal flagellates), and they are poorly shaped and colored as well. You can get MUCH MORE for your money. You can find MUCH NICER fish for that price or a little less. You can save money by getting all 3.5" fish and growing them out, which is what most discus keepers would recommend you do anyway.

I'll ask him to send better pictures tomorrow and I'll have you look at them.

Which site/breeder would you recommend for best quality and lower prices that would be closer to FL or at least cheaper shipping?

Yeah, if I'm ever down there I might but it's about a 2hour drive from me... Thanks though....I really love the blue and the reds like the ones in some pics u posted

I would recommend Dan at Elite Aquaria in FL, but he doesn't get stock in regularly and I don't think he is getting another shipment for some time. The #1 person I'd recommend people to for discus by mail is Kenny at Kenny's Discus in California. He is an outstanding guy and has a bulletproof track record. He just got a shipment in too...he usually gets one in per month, sometimes two per month a couple times per year. Here is a link: Feb 2012 Forrest shipment ready to go - Actual Tank Pictures I think shipping is usually around $90 Overnight via FedEx but he has great prices and fantastic quality. He doesn't have many solids in this shipment, which typically go for $25-35 each at the 3" range (tail not include in measurements ever by real discus keepers such as Kenny). You might be best to wait until next month's shipment if you want to stay at $300, but I PROMISE YOU that you won't go wrong with Kenny Cheung. Talk to him...tell him what you want if you don't see what you like. He can probably get it for you in his next shipment. He is a great guy and you won't regret it at all. Tell him I sent you and he might remember me. It's been a couple of years since I've been on the Simply Discus forums.

Yeah, if I'm ever down there I might but it's about a 2hour drive from me... Thanks though....I really love the blue and the reds like the ones in some pics u posted

2 hours is nothing. I did that (Chicago trip) for the blue and red breeding pair in those pics. Others I drove 11 hours for round trip when I went to see Mike Beals in Galena, OH. It was worth it every time.

bs6749 said:
I would recommend Dan at Elite Aquaria in FL, but he doesn't get stock in regularly and I don't think he is getting another shipment for some time. The #1 person I'd recommend people to for discus by mail is Kenny at Kenny's Discus in California. He is an outstanding guy and has a bulletproof track record. He just got a shipment in too...he usually gets one in per month, sometimes two per month a couple times per year. Here is a link: Feb 2012 Forrest shipment ready to go - Actual Tank Pictures I think shipping is usually around $90 Overnight via FedEx but he has great prices and fantastic quality. He doesn't have many solids in this shipment, which typically go for $25-35 each at the 3" range (tail not include in measurements ever by real discus keepers such as Kenny). You might be best to wait until next month's shipment if you want to stay at $300, but I PROMISE YOU that you won't go wrong with Kenny Cheung. Talk to him...tell him what you want if you don't see what you like. He can probably get it for you in his next shipment. He is a great guy and you won't regret it at all. Tell him I sent you and he might remember me. It's been a couple of years since I've been on the Simply Discus forums.

I'll def look into it tomorrow, as well as talking to the guy from craigslist. Thanks for all your help so far. I'll keep you updated!

One final thing that I would like to say is that you should consider the cost to medicate the fish from the guy on Craigslist. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that Kenny WILL be cheaper...he may and he may not depending on what you want. I know that you certainly CAN do it for the same price and maybe a little less. I also KNOW that Kenny WILL give you 100% healthy fish that will thrive and if you have ANY issues with shipment, Kenny WILL be there for you. Check his feedback on that link I posted. Over 300 positive remarks and not a single negative. You might save $25-50 initially on the price if you go with the Craigslist guy, but in the long run you will be happier if you go with Kenny. More selection, better quality, better service, supporting a hobbyist that gives back to the community (I've seen him donate fish/money numerous times), and gaining someone that will help you should you encounter ANY problems. He loves this hobby and is enthusiastic about talking about it. Like I said, you won't regret it.

If there is anything else I can do, just ask.

-Bryan

Haha, yeah... I would even know how to transport them all that way but once I hit spring break I may see about running down for the day

You don't think Hans has bags and boxes? C'mon! This guy gets in a truckload of fish at a time. He even has a special van to go pick up the fish from the airport LOL. He's got everything you need. I don't know if I should be jealous of you or feel lucky for living far away from Hans. If I lived 2 hours away I could get some SWEET fish. But then again, I'd be there all the time and wouldn't have any money :( lol. Sign up to become a member on Simply Discus (free) and contact Hans. He will treat you right and will help you with whatever you need.

No problem. Discus are great fish and it's great when more people become experienced in keeping them.

bs6749 said:
You don't think Hans has bags and boxes? C'mon! This guy gets in a truckload of fish at a time. He even has a special van to go pick up the fish from the airport LOL. He's got everything you need. I don't know if I should be jealous of you or feel lucky for living far away from Hans. If I lived 2 hours away I could get some SWEET fish. But then again, I'd be there all the time and wouldn't have any money :( lol. Sign up to become a member on Simply Discus (free) and contact Hans. He will treat you right and will help you with whatever you need.

Hey clear your inbox lol
Also,
Do you know anyone that sells Discus at good prices (cheap) in SoCal 91744?

I cleared my inbox. Apparently I had 173 messages out of 50 allowed. It's been some time since I've been on this forum and they must have changed limitations and the PM system. Anyway...good to go now.

Kenny Cheung, who I already recommended to another member, is located near San Francisco, which I know is much further up along the coast. I would recommend him if you are ever up that way or within driving distance as he has the best selection around. If you are set on staying in SoCal for your discus, I know that Chad Hughes (in San Diego) has some nice stuff right now. Stock List - San Diego Discus

Also, many people purchase "cheap discus" only to spend much more on them in the long run. If you aren't prepared to spend $35-55 per fish with a minimum of 5-6 fish, then you should wait until you are. "Cheap discus" are cheap for a reason. The stuff you see in local fish stores are "LFS grade" and are generally not the healthiest fish...we've all seen them. You might think you are getting a good deal for a LFS, but you are only buying a headache. Those fish will get sick and most likely die, leaving you wondering what YOU did wrong and it might even scare you away from discus. Do it right the first time around. If you have the time to dedicate to raising up eight 2.5-3" discus, that might save you a little bit of money as you can generally get classic strains for around $20-$30 each at that size. It's fun to grow them out and you might enjoy doing that.

I agree with getting discus from Kenny Cheung. I bought all my discus from him and you can be sure that they are of high quality. I paid only $30 overnight shipping. Learned my lesson before and won't buy discus from craigslist. Unless you know how to distinguish a good discus to not. You get what you pay for.

bs6749 said:
I cleared my inbox. Apparently I had 173 messages out of 50 allowed. It's been some time since I've been on this forum and they must have changed limitations and the PM system. Anyway...good to go now.

Kenny Cheung, who I already recommended to another member, is located near San Francisco, which I know is much further up along the coast. I would recommend him if you are ever up that way or within driving distance as he has the best selection around. If you are set on staying in SoCal for your discus, I know that Chad Hughes (in San Diego) has some nice stuff right now. Stock List - San Diego Discus

Also, many people purchase "cheap discus" only to spend much more on them in the long run. If you aren't prepared to spend $35-55 per fish with a minimum of 5-6 fish, then you should wait until you are. "Cheap discus" are cheap for a reason. The stuff you see in local fish stores are "LFS grade" and are generally not the healthiest fish...we've all seen them. You might think you are getting a good deal for a LFS, but you are only buying a headache. Those fish will get sick and most likely die, leaving you wondering what YOU did wrong and it might even scare you away from discus. Do it right the first time around. If you have the time to dedicate to raising up eight 2.5-3" discus, that might save you a little bit of money as you can generally get classic strains for around $20-$30 each at that size. It's fun to grow them out and you might enjoy doing that.

I'm growing out 10 that I got from a lfs
& I've put them in a great environment
They're used to a moderately high ph compared to what is recommend they should be at
Can you take a look at my 180 thread I have (I'd post a link but idk how on the app) & let me know how they look & if you can ID the strains for me?
Yeah I meant cheap like in the range of 40-55
I've seen 2"-3" Discus going for 65$ around here so I was like nah too much for that

Discus can do just fine in a pH up to and over 8.4 from personal experience. I've had pairs spawn and I've gotten fry in a pH of 8.0 with GH and KH both over 300 ppm, which is well outside of their normal range. Tankbred discus are a whole different story from wild-caughts however, which should be kept in parameters close to their original ones.

Oh I used peat moss in my canister filter
Also almond leaves & they look pretty cool in the tank
In my tank the dw is still releasing some tannings into the water which helps lower the ph a bit as well

bs6749 said:
Discus can do just fine in a pH up to and over 8.4 from personal experience. I've had pairs spawn and I've gotten fry in a pH of 8.0 with GH and KH both over 300 ppm, which is well outside of their normal range. Tankbred discus are a whole different story from wild-caughts however, which should be kept in parameters close to their original ones.

Yeah exactly which is why a lot of ppl prefer Discus from local breeders

I have a piece of dw..you can see in my album picture, it's pretty big. It didn't lower my ph any. The peat moss has brought it down a tiny bit.

I know cichlidstore.com breeds cichlids in the Tampa area here but I think he's out. I'll call him up.

Back
Top Bottom