Using prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can u use prime all of the time after the tank is cycled or is it better just to use aquasafe? Prime does nuetralize nitrate which does not to good with blue rams at low levels. Basically what im asking does it make sense to use prime after every pwc

No, it makes no sense to use it after a water change. It does, however, make since to use it during a water change, as the primary purpose of Prime is to dechlorinate the water. It can be used in an emergency situation to detoxity ammoonia, but water changes should be done at that point, IMO.

Basically, only use prime for emergencies? If everything is ok just use aquasfae then?

Impulse09 said:
Can u use prime all of the time after the tank is cycled or is it better just to use aquasafe? Prime does nuetralize nitrate which does not to good with blue rams at low levels. Basically what im asking does it make sense to use prime after every pwc

Prime does not neutralize nitrate it makes it inert which is safe for fish but like rook said its primary purpose is to dechlorinate so it's just fine to use I keep and breed gold, German blue, Bolivian rams and all hybrids in between and use prime with no issues

Nice, blue ram how long does it take the markings to come out. So u use prime after water changes?

Impulse09 said:
Nice, blue ram how long does it take the markings to come out. So u use prime after water changes?

That guy is about 6 months but you start to see the colors around 2 and I use prime during my wc after I drain my water I dose prime and fill back up

How old r they when they r in a pet store. I just got my two a week ago they look a little dull still

Prime and aquasafe are both dechlorinaters. Pick one and stick with it. Personally I think its better to use the same kind of dechlor so the fish are used to the same chemicals. I like prime best, and only use it when you change your water, don't add it all the time.

Impulse09 said:
How old r they when they r in a pet store. I just got my two a week ago they look a little dull still

I sell mine at around 3 months they will still color up more they are just probably young it can have to do with matience too make sure your filters are clean an you do your weekly matience

Yes I have used both plus amquel plus I like all of them I use aqua safe for 3 years straught n wat I like about it its the slime coat thing, but amquel n prime I way good too

I also use Prime. I have had no issues with it at all! I always add it to water that is about to go in the tank when I do my pwc. I rarely have to buy new bottles as well because it is quite concentrated...which I like ;)

I also use Prime. I have had no issues with it at all! I always add it to water that is about to go in the tank when I do my pwc. I rarely have to buy new bottles as well because it is quite concentrated...which I like ;)

and if u buy the 2 liter or gallon its alot cheaper than buying regular size bottles

Can I remove some of my water, dose my tank, and then fill up? or does the prime have to go into the new water directly?

Personally I like to add Prime to the new water before it goes in. I just feel better knowing the neutralization of chlorine/chloramine has already taken place before the water is mixed in the tank with my fish and nice bacteria.

Can I remove some of my water, dose my tank, and then fill up? or does the prime have to go into the new water directly?

It depends on how you do pwc. If you have a small tank and use buckets, then add it to the buckets of water before putting them into the tank.

If you have a larger tank and use an automatic changer from your faucet (like a Python or Aqueon changer) then you would drain the water from the tank, add enough dechlorinator to the tank for the whole volume of the tank not just the water you are replacing, and then refill.

I use Prime for my water changes as well and my tank is cycled. And Prime does help with slime coat as well (says it on the bottle).

GodFan said:

Yes, this is exactly what I do. When you dose the tank, you dose for the whole tank volume when adding new water. I usually change at least 50% of the water anyway. I use my aqueon water changer, drain the water into the sink, then add prime and refill the tank.

Back
Top Bottom