Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

using purigen in Aqueon HOB filter

Thought I might try out Purigen. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow HOB filter. If I wanted to use Purigen: Do I use it WITH my charcoal/floss "insert" or instead of? My floss is still OK (I've been rinsing it) but the charcoal is probably spent. If I somehow fasten the bag of Purigen to the backside of the floss/charcoal cartridge, would that work, or would the water just flow "around" it, since the bag is smaller than the cartridge? If I wanted to use it in place of charcoal, how do I get it to stay in there where the water will be "pushed" through it properly?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
NRB
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use purigen on my 90 gallon. In the canister filter the water is able to go around it, but my water is crystal clear. I wouldn't worry about trying to get water to be forced through it. Just put it where the charcoal was, and it will do the job. You really don't need to use charcoal if your using purigen.

The nice thing with purigen is you can "recharge" it. There are directions and videos online that walk you through that process. Normally takes a day or two. I have multiple bags of purigen, so I can swap them out.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

I'm not familiar with the Aqueon filters, but, on my Aquaclears, I replaced the carbon with the Purigen and put the Purigen "pillow" on top of the sponge. Some water flows around it, but it still does a great job keeping my water crystal clear.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I ordered some online. Can't make it to the LFS today (it's a 30 minute drive) and PetSmart doesn't carry it, and looked at me like an alien when I asked them if they did.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Purigen is awesome! My water stays clear constantly, even if the substrate itself is quite dirty.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDDad View Post
Purigen is awesome! My water stays clear constantly, even if the substrate itself is quite dirty.
Glad it helped.

Tags
aqueon, filter, hob, hob filter, purigen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com