Using Rocks From Outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used rocks from outside? I found some beautiful rocks outside and was wondering if could put them in the tank. I know I have to boil them and soak them, but would they work?

Yes, I just cleaned mine up with hot water and tooth brush and scrub brush then put them on a cookie sheet and baked them @350 for about 20mins or so.

Yes, I just cleaned mine up with hot water and tooth brush and scrub brush then put them on a cookie sheet and baked them @350 for about 20mins or so.

Where did you find yours? I found mine by a ditch.

Hello Dia...

I make sure the rocks pass the vinegar test first. I put a few drops of vinegar on the piece and if there's a reaction of any kind, I don't use it. There may be some metals you don't want in your tank water. If there's no reaction, I rinse well and the piece is ready for the tank.

B

I have a rock in with one of my fish from outside right now! Make sure to boil it to kill anything dangerous.

I have rocks from the back yard. I pressure washed them (no soap or anything) and then did a scrub, pressure washed again, put in tank. I did nothing else. The rocks I put in wouldn't fit in my stove or in any of my pots.

1.5yrs later still no issue.

Of course it's okay to collect your hardscape materials from the great outdoors. After all that's where the store bought stuff originally came from. IMO, your local rock yard or landscaping company is the place to find the best stuff. The rock yards in my area divide the rocks up into seperate piles of specific varieties. It's a supermarket of rocks, usually costing between 10 cents to 25 cents per pound. No guess work regarding rock type and it's all on display for easy shopping convenience.
Pictured: 2 Honeycombed Limestone rocks bought at my local rock yard. Left, 40 lb. Rock, right, 30 lb. Rock. Both rocks are basically hollow, full of useful holes. Combined cost, approx. $17. I poured a few buckets of used tank water over the rocks to clean them. No problems.

Attachments

• 20180519_194253.jpg
    20180519_194253.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 50
Baking of the rocks can be dangerous. Depending on the type of rock, void spaces within the rock will have water turn into a steam bomb.
I'm familiar with use of autoclav sterilization for surgical instruments. Temps max out around 280F for a 20min cycle. When the bell dings, the equipment is taken out of the oven, considered sterile, and now safe for a surgical procedure.
Boiling at sea level is 212F, and -1F per 500feet of elevation. Boiling will remove all the mosses and macro life from rocks, but will not make it sterile.
That being said, I love to rock hound around the cascade mtns for new aquarium hardscapes. I boil them first, too. [emoji106]

Okay so I dusted the rocks off, then rinsed them in hot water..After that I boiled some water then let them sit in the sink until the water got warm. Then I re-rinsed them and boiled more water. Once they got warm again I let them dry for a few minutes then I did the vinegar test and nothing happened. So are they okay to put in the aquarium?

The rocks should be ok in your aquarium. They might buffer the water a little bit

Disclaimer: I've never used soapstone in an aquarium. Not even sure that's what you do in fact have there.
Upon further exploring on google, maybe hold off on putting it into the tank. You could soak the rocks in a bucket for a couple days to see what the leaching effects are. Test the tap water beforehand.

I live in Denver CO, and I've used volcanic rocks from Iceland and Hawaii in my tank. I also paid a stone mason to break some red flagstone for me. I guess the answer to your question is "yes", as long as you run the acid test. vinegar's acid content is very low, and it might not give you good indications on the metallic content of the rock. You may have to use some real acid from industrial cleaner section of home improvement store. This proves that the rock is safe to use in the aquarium. Having said that, there are other things to consider:

1) in mountainous regions sometimes, you may find some shale rocks. They may look tough and it would give you a nice look of rock layers in the aquarium. They are not rocks! They are mud sediments. if you boil your rocks and leave them in the water, you'll see that when you rub your fingers on them, your fingers will get muddy.

2) Flag stones might be a little better. one issue that I found with them is that they are porous, and algae builds up on them very fast and they change color. It is also very difficult to clean them (even with a brush). If you don't mind mature algae growth, they this might be ok for you. you can use rock cement to stack them up make they remain stable and don't fall on your fish.

3) Volcanic rocks are very nice, and even with algae built up they still look very beautiful.

4) I think river rocks or granite are very beautiful. I don't have much experience with them but I'm sure they are much easier to work.

Back
Top Bottom