using salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moe36

Aquarium Advice Regular
....I keep reading that using a teaspoon of regular salt per gallon of a freshwater aquarium will promote the health of fish......is this true? Or is it only for brakish aquarium?

I hope by regular salt you do not mean table salt. It's been a while since I had my FW tank, but I do remember that I did use a quantity of salt in the tank. The LFS should stock this item. You do not need much but I cannot remember the ratios or anything like that. HTH 8)

You should use so-called "Aquarium Salt." It's gathered from evaporated seawater. Table salt will probably kill your fish, as it is often iodized. Not good for them aparantly...

Go to the LFS and get some "Aquarium Salt," not the same as "Marine Salt" which contains more nutients and electrolytes necessary for Marine fish. (Dr. Wellfish makes it, as do many other reputable companies.) Then follow the instructions for fish health. I just put some in my tank, at a dosage of 1 rounded table spoon per 5 gallons. It dissolves immediately (water can tolerate up to 4-5 parts per hundred of water depending upon its temperature).

This should help keep your fish healthy and less stressed. But don't ask me the mechanism behind it!!

I would doublecheck with the LFS on the salt type. I am not sure if you should use marine salt for the FW tank. Might have to do with the trace element composition, but again, I apologize for not remembering more detail than that. I do remember it was packaged and labeled for FW use. Good luck 8)

Do you already have Marine Salt? Is that why your asking? If you don't already, just get the aquarium salt. Otherwise, it's possible that the marine salt will do the same job. But I'm no expert. FishFreek, ReefRunner69, any ideas?

My lfs said 1 tablespoon per 10 gal, every other tank change. He said it will promote health but also will cut down on parasites. Since freashwater patasites like fresh water the "little bit" of salt makes the fish "unattractive to them. My lfs seems to know what he is talking about in other area's. Must have the cleanest tanks I have ever seen (with fish actually in them). I have a 55 gal tank and put the 5 tablespoons he suggested in it and my new fish seem like they don't mind it.

Kind of a myth about iodine. It won't hurt your fish. In fact you will find in many fertilizers that iodine is added as a trace element.

As for putting it in your tank, salt is used for marine and brackish tanks all the time and in fresh water tanks should be used when treating for illness. It probably will not hurt your fish to add some regularly but it should be noted that in such low quantities it really won't stop things like ich. You need high heat and a higher level of salt to kill most parasites.

The issue with table salt isn't the iodine, its the anti-caking agents.

I had this saved from a post on loaches.com a while back:

"So, *I believe* that iodized salt is okay to use. *HOWEVER*, beware of the anti-caking agent used in table salt! Read the label. If "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" is used, DO NOT USE IT! It can and will kill fish. It's cyanide! In the U.S., it has been approved by the FDA because it's used in a "small amount." However, I do know of people that have used it and killed their Clowns. If the anti-caking agent is "sodium silicoaluminate," it's okay to use. ...BUT remember, I only recommend using *rock salt*."

I would take it "with a grain of salt" (cyanide as an additive?) but it does address the question of anti-caking safety"

As for keeping a level of salt in the tank, its unneccessary except for certain fish like mollies. Turns out its pretty much a wives tale (why are they never husband tales?). Won't hurt the fish, although I'd avoid measureable levels with some tetras, corys and otos (some people have had problems with salt and those fish). Your tap water likely has trace amounts of salt in it anyway (along with other minerals). And it won't prevent ich, for example.

Also there are certain fish that are scaleless, like the loaches. Accidentally putting in too much salt will lead to damaging these fish. I have also heard that some plecos are intolerant of salt.

I think the real problem is that most of the information comes from what we have "heard somewhere". At best it looks like the salt won't hurt most fish but at best it doesn't really do anything substantial in small quantities. Unless real proof comes around I will continue to hold my salt in reserve for illnesses that I can diagnose.

Heh, I did my research on salt.

Turns out salt is fine for clown loaches. I treated them for ich with the salt/high temp method; its one of the recommended tx for clown loaches. They were able to handle a salt level of 3ppm with no problem (figure about 7.6 grams per gallon, or almost a 1/4 cup aquarium salt per 10g!).

It also not a prob for plecs either. There is no documentation anywhere on salt being dangerous for them; in fact what I found was its the recommended treatment for nitrite poisoning for catfish. I have the links on the other computer; lemme know if you want them tkos. My 8 inch plec was in that tank being treated; I don't think it even noticed the salt.

That all being said, you don't want to keep a freshwater fish in brackish conditions; they are just not made to deal with it in the long term (their kidneys are set up differently).

And I agree. I used salt in one instance, and once the ich treatment was over the salt was slowly removed. I see it as any other med; use it when necessary, otherwise leave it be.

Yeah, I would love to read that documentation if it is easy to get at. I always forget about the nitrite poisoning thing with salt. I thought that I had read loaches couldn't handle it but I must have been reading about another type of fish.

As for salt not dissolving in water? If it doesn't dissolve then it really isn't salt. I mean that is what makes a salt, its ability to dissolve.

I don't really buy into the cyanide as an anti-caking agent...usually they tell you exactly what they use as an anti-caking agent, and it's usually pretty harmless...carbonates if i remember (I personally have used iodized, caking agent included salt in my tank...not exactly on purpose...don't ever assume your roomie filled up the salt shaker with the same stuff you bought last time...but my fish suffered no consequences).

I've read that if you're going to do a salt treatment for injury or ailment, you should sprinkle the salt in, and let it dissolve naturally over time, rather than dissolving it mechanically by shaking it in some water...maybe that's what it means by doesn't dissolve?

Salt helps keep your fish healthy, in a way beacause it promotes the slime coating on your fish, so they wont be easily attacked by stuff. Also it helps prevent ich or even kill it because when the NaCl levels rise, osmosis forces every thing with membranes to equal the level of water in their bodies. This makes ich swelll or inflate till it explodes. Well, kinda.

Theres like this scientific experiment that when you put a fish into a jar with i dunno what kind of water (cant remember if its distilled or highly NaCl concentrated water) it will make the fish swell till it becomes like a ballon.

Imagine your fish being able to resist that, but killing some of the unwanted ich by adding just a teaspoon of aquarium salt for every 10 lts of water :wink:

You're sorta on the mark Neuve; however its not quite the issue with fish as you've written; otherwise we wouldn't have saltwater fish *grin*

Those living in water are working all the time to be in balance (aka osmoregulation) with the salt levels in the water around em. Freshwater fish have higher levels of salt then the water around them and have kidneys set up to remove water quickly; saltwater fish have less salt then their surroundings and have kidneys set up to hold onto water (more detailed explanation here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/articles/osmoregulation.shtml ). Thats why SW fish can't survive in FW; they hold onto too much water, and why FW can't survive in SW; they get rid of too much water...neither is able to remain in balance.

Salt DOES mess with the ich parasite's osmoregulation; however it requires the salt levels to be around 2-3 ppm higher then what the water usually is. Ich can survive at higher levels of salt; the treatment is to change the levels enough to kill them. If the tank always has a little salt, ich will find a way to survive in it; then one needs even higher levels to kill it.

As for slime coat, a healthy fish has all the slime coat it needs.

The theory with salt and slime coat is that an irretant in the water (ie salt) will help a fish grow more slime coat. But fish in the wild do well with out anyone adding tsp of salt. For the same reason those dechlorinators with aloe to help build a slime coat are a little silly. Aloe doesn't really help as much as good clean water does.

Back
Top Bottom