Using Slate Tile to make caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all....Question, has anyone used slate tile to create caves? If so, what steps did you take before putting into tank?

Yes, just wash it. If you want to adhere it together you can use aquarium-friendly silicone sealant.

okay thank you both.....also, how do I smooth the sharp edges? Thought to use silicone to smooth over it however trying to avoid using too much silicone....please suggestions are definitely welcome...don't have special tools

Geronica said:
okay thank you both.....also, how do I smooth the sharp edges? Thought to use silicone to smooth over it however trying to avoid using too much silicone....please suggestions are definitely welcome...don't have special tools

Hi! I did this in my 55 Mixed African tank, I use silicone to glue them together. I washed them with vinegar water first then boiled water in a pan and poured it overtop. I used another piece of slate to sand down the edges... Hope this helped!

Attachments

• image-3265474098.jpg
    image-3265474098.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 6,513
You could just use some good sandpaper, but it's definitely some work. If the edges aren't prominent you could just silicone over them instead. I wouldnt' worry about overdoing the silicone, as long as it's aquarium safe it's not going to hurt anything.

Hi! I did this in my 55 Mixed African tank, I use silicone to glue them together. I washed them with vinegar water first then boiled water in a pan and poured it overtop. I used another piece of slate to sand down the edges... Hope this helped!

Beautiful tank and thank you very much for that idea to smooth with another piece...bravo:dance:

also I love the ones that have the holes in them...where you get them?

Geronica said:
also I love the ones that have the holes in them...where you get them?

You can get them on eBay, I found that one at an awesome Lfs about 2 hours away from me, it was 3.99 a lb, that piece cost me $25 but I couldn't live without it lol.

Check there is no Pyrite in the slate as it can lead to problems, it looks like little metal cubes in the slate.

Back
Top Bottom