Using wild sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferret_Friend

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I set up my 29 gallon because I was bored last night. I'm trying to set up this tank with as little cost as possible, and the power was out anyhow, so I ran to a nearby stream and got some sand. The problem? There's VERY fine particles of sand and muck, so the water is clouded like crazy. Thankfully, my python just arrived in the mail, so that helps with water changing, but it's still cloudy. So, I put on my new Cascade filter (which btw, I LOVE the design of), and I'm wondering if that will help or if the cloudiness is not something that can be taken care of. I was hoping for some cheap substrate, but this doesn't seem to be working out at all.

BTW, the plans for this tank are two small goldfish and maybe some plants, so its' not heated. I was hoping the bacteria present in outdoor sand would accelerate the cycling process but who knows.

Any thoughts on this situation?

The cloudiness will go away in time, unless there is some pollutant in the sand which is a possibility. IMO, I would remove it.

Pool Filter Sand at a pool supply store should be roughly $10-12 for a 50lb bag.

If I have to resort to that, I will. I was already bummed having to shell out $40 a filter. If the cloudiness doesn't go away, I will clean it out and get the pool sand.

Once the cloudiness is gone, my last two painted tetras are going in to help get the cycling started. If they live, then all is good. I'm surprised my OScar hasn't eaten them yet anyhow. He ate the other four, but these two he has little interest in for some reason.

Oscar

" I'm surprised my OScar hasn't eaten them yet anyhow"

I am surprised you have them together

Quickrete Play Sand at Lowes is $2.95 for a 50 lb bag. :D

Re: Oscar

Mike469 said:
" I'm surprised my OScar hasn't eaten them yet anyhow"

I am surprised you have them together

I put the Oscar in there to eat the tetras. My tank was overstocked, so I figured I'd enjoy an aggressive fish that I could watch eat other fish without being mad about losing fish I care about. For some reason though, he refuses to eat the last two. Meh.

Also, the water has increased quite a bit in clarity. In another day it should be crystal clear. This Cascade filter rocks. It was only about $5 more for one of these that's meant for a 100 gallon tank, so I got it. Putting that on a 29 gallon seems to be working wonders.

Also, the temperature seems to be maintaining at about 75 degrees without a water heater. Is the flourescent bulb creating enough heat to do that, or is a cool water tank not quite as cool as I thought it would be?

Also, the temperature seems to be maintaining at about 75 degrees without a water heater. Is the flourescent bulb creating enough heat to do that, or is a cool water tank not quite as cool as I thought it would be?

Could be or just the weather. It is still important to have a heater. 75 is ok, I would go 78.

Even if it were 78 without a heater, you still want one. If it is cold, or the temp changes you want the water to stay stable.

I run my ac now but with my last tank the water was about 82 in the summer. I left it at 82 and set the heater at 82 for the summer. Having it a little higher, or lower is much better than changes in temp. that can be drastic to your fishes health.

The water is perfectly clear now. This Cascade filter kicks ass. I rinsed out the filter and all is good. I put my two painted tetras in there to be starter fish. So far so good. I'll give them a couple weeks, and if they're still alive, then we're probably good to go.

Still haven't decided for certain if I'm going to put two tiny goldfish in there, or if I'm just going to make this another warm tank.

please change the water daily, atleast some or those "stater fish" will be going through hell for 5 weeks, i used "starter fish" and changed the water daily, tested, kept it "safe" and still have my "stater fish" which are in my current tank and are the most fun to watch swim around the cichlids

Back
Top Bottom