Utter chaos.. controllable??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, I'm getting my 2nd eldest tank pretty close to the 6 month mark, it's heavily planted and I'd like to do some major scape work, talking ripping up heavily rooted plant systems and moving some serious substrate. It's flourite black sand and petco black sand, pretty fine stuff. I've heard of gas pockets but I don't really buy it. I am worried about all the detritus and root tabs fouling the water. I'm thinking dosing the tank with prime a few minutes prior to chaos and getting the siphon going on the area I'm working in should help. Any other tips or tricks you all could share?? I'm not terribly concerned, just figured if there was anything I could do to ease the stress on the fish, It'd be worth while..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I've done major rescapes quite a few times. Just get it over with (be prepared they can take 3+ hours) and follow up with a large water change. Other than that, it's not really a big deal; especially if you get in there and trim plants frequently.

I'll be totally uprooting 2 large groupings, 50% wc to follow.

My tank water looked like chocolate milk after my last big rescape. Fish were in a temp tank, plants were pulled and in a bucket. Both HOBs were stuffed with floss and ran a gravel vac as well. It was messy and time consuming.
Do you have a vision of the new scape?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's hardly a rescape, walichi out, new ar in..I'm going to pull all the ar mini, prune and replant.. hunt and eradicate all this bladder wort that has mysteriously popped up as well;)

It's hardly a rescape, walichi out, new ar in..I'm going to pull all the ar mini, prune and replant.. hunt and eradicate all this bladder wort that has mysteriously popped up as well;)

Bladder wort is like java moss is like herpes. The gift that keeps on giving. You're welcome :)
That's stem maintenance. When I pull the AR for trimming and replanting, the root ball is easily the size of a golf ball. I shake off the EcoComplete granules and that's when the dust storm starts.
I still have the wallichii; it's hanging in there. Not quite as red. The erio is barely hanging in there :(

Every time I go on an aquascaping programme I think, mm I like that, lets try it, I would never consider doing it with my fish in.........

My erio is not looking to hot either. .. oh well.. it's only money.. the ar has been undisturbed for a long time so it should be a mess.. bladderwort made it all the way across the tank.. will it choke plants like java moss??

My erio is not looking to hot either. .. oh well.. it's only money.. the ar has been undisturbed for a long time so it should be a mess.. bladderwort made it all the way across the tank.. will it choke plants like java moss??

Of the 3 erios, the smallest one keeled over and the other two on have green centers.
I find that that the bladderwort is usually present in lit areas and not in the undergrowth like java moss. I've seen it mixed with string algae and the combo can get wrapped around the more finer leafed plants like R wallichii and pogo. Just have to be diligent and pull it out with tweezers when you see it.

Of the 3 erios, the smallest one keeled over and the other two on have green centers.
I find that that the bladderwort is usually present in lit areas and not in the undergrowth like java moss. I've seen it mixed with string algae and the combo can get wrapped around the more finer leafed plants like R wallichii and pogo. Just have to be diligent and pull it out with tweezers when you see it.

I planted them in all three high tech setups, alive but not growing under the sat plus, death by gda under 2 planted plus and looking almost ok under one planted plus in the 5.5. . Tough plant there. I knew the bladderwort was in there. . Just kind of forgot. .. I'll be more vigilant from now on.

Talking riddles I'm off......

Ricky - A few weeks ago Brookster sent me a plant by the name of erios. I reported that it was not doing so well in my tank and he reported the same in his three tanks. Next, a plant called bladderwort arrived in my tank as a hitchhiker from a plant order in the summer. I sent Brookster some plants and passed them off to his tanks. Bladderwort is a small plant that spreads quickly with its filament like growth. If left unchecked, it can become invasive.

^^^^yep... pretty much sums it up..

Back
Top Bottom