UV Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babakapusta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I put a UV light on my tank? I'm having an algae problem. Will it help with algae on the glass?

I am also afraid to put my arms in the water. I do it, because I have to but years ago I knew a boy who got a terrible rash from cleaning his tank and he was in the hospital for a few days before they discovered he had picked up some sort of a bacterial infection from his tank.

Do they work? Do they hurt the fish?

Black light will not help. Black light is not killing algeas. I heard about BL can increase fish diseases and shorten their life duration.

What you can use is a UV Sterilization for when you have green water. Note that UV Sterelizers don't have same wavelenghts of blacklights, they are optimized for sterilization. Water need to be in contact with the UV Lamp, so I don't think a simple black light over the tank will help.

For diseases linked to aquarium water, I don't think you can get a disease if you don't have cuts on your hands. In my case, I already have get Hair algea combined to green algea on glass and greenwater (so green that i can't see the fish) and I neved had health problems. It's the first time I heard somebody got a disease from his tank, and I think maybe the disease your dude got was probably not from his/her tank.

Note that algeas are plants and they are not toxic if you touch them. But I will not recommand you drink your fish water. I already have drink a shooter of my aquarium water, I was drunk, I won 10$ for doing this, and I had not been sick.

Personally, I would not fear to put arms in water. Clean both hands and arms before you put it in the water, and clean them after too. You must not introduce arm grease in water. Make sure you rinse well so you don't put soap in the water.

If you're talking about Green spots algea on the glass is a sign of balance in a tank. They are hard to remove with a sponge/scrub, people usually use a razor blade for doing this (if it's glass aquarium).

So:
Should I put a UV light on my tank? I will say no.

Do they work? I will say no because of the wavelenght
Do they hurt the fish? I will say yes but i'm not 100% sure.

I am also afraid to put my arms in the water.Not sure algea or bacterials from the tank is harmfull except if you allergic to something in it.

Should I put a UV light on my tank? I'm having an algae problem. Will it help with algae on the glass?

I am also afraid to put my arms in the water. I do it, because I have to but years ago I knew a boy who got a terrible rash from cleaning his tank and he was in the hospital for a few days before they discovered he had picked up some sort of a bacterial infection from his tank.

Do they work? Do they hurt the fish?

UV sterilizers should only be ran if there is a noticeable problem in your tank such as a bacterial infection or green water. Other than that I wouldn't bother using one.

As for the infection from the tank water; aquariums are bacteria filled pools of disgusting. Think of all the rotting food and poo in the tank. That being said, there is absolutely nothing to worry about as long as you don't have open cuts or wounds on your hand because bacteria can't penetrate skin without an opening in it.

I do highly suggest washing your hand / arm after you are done with the tank because it's not uncommon for fish tanks to be contaminated with salmonella.

Lastly, before you are going to stick your hand in your tank I would avoid using any soap to wash up as it can possibly kill your fish. Instead use hot water.

What type algae are you having problems with? Also what type lighting and bulbs do you use and how long do you run them daily? Is your tank planted? A lot of time algae problems stem from running your lights too long daily. When you have an algae problem only run lights 6 hours max a day. Once you have corrected the problem causing the algae then you can slowly over several weeks increase lighting 30 minutes every 3 or so weeks but once you see algae starting you need to back down 30 minutes and you will have found the amount of time you can run your lights daily without causing algae issues.

I've found GSA to go away with higher amounts of phosphates in the water. A picture would be a lot of help. Also especially in newer tanks you will get what is called Green Dust Algae on your glass. It is also self limiting like diatoms and will eventually run its course over time and then just disappear.

I have florescent bulbs that were running probably 12 hours a day because my husband likes to watch the fish. He was ill and I didn't stop him. The tank also gets sunlight from our windows. I only turn the lights on a couple of hours a day now when I am feeding them. I can see the algae is thinning somewhat.

My tank has been running since 1998. I'm trying to get rid of the algae slowly so as not to disturb the balance. The fish seem to like it. I don't mind it on the back but this red stuff is growing on the front.

I have a combo of algae, the red seems to be on the glass and the green is growing on top of that.

What I need is something to scrape it off the glass. It is nearly impossible to do so. It probably takes me at least 5 minutes to scrape off a square inch.

I don't know what the red stuff is.

How are your nitrate levels?

I found one of the best things to use is an old gift card or credit card to scrape off the tough algae on the glass.

I have no idea about my nitrates. I haven't tested my water in more than 10 years.

I don't have plants, I have a lot of rocks and wood.

The best is to know NO3 (Nitrates) levels and PO4 (Phosphates) levels... Direct sunlight help algea growing... Long lighting times (12h) help algea proliferation. Overfeeding promote algea, ferts too if not used properly.

Like I said, I was ill and so was my husband I hurt my shoulder so I couldn't do a lot without pain. Prior to getting hurt my schedule was pretty much once a week 50% or more. I'd miss over vacations or once in awhile but I was pretty consistent.

When I was ill, I didn't do water changes very often.I usually just topped off the tank and that is when the algae started. I figured algae would be good for the tank at that time so I let it go.

I had about 1/2 inch of mulm on the bottom of my tank. I let that go figuring that would be good for the fish. Now I want to see them. I feel better. I've been doing water changes every week for the last month. 25%- 50%-75% - 75%

My fish are healthy, they have good color they eat well and are active even though they are not whipper snappers anymore. The youngest are the loaches at a little over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom