Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

UV Sterilisers

I decided to fit a UV steriliser to my 270l tank as a health precaution. I have fish, shrimp & Cory's and don't ever want to use chemicals or meds. After 1 week I can't believe how clear the water is and I thought it clear before. I am well pleased. Just wanted to tell someone as my friends are sick of hearing about my tank

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a link to somewhere that summarizes the benefits and how it works? I am looking at a 55 gallon and may be interested in one. Also, can you move them from tank to tank? Do they prevent black brush algae? Do they let you run your lights longer? ..... I am tired of my tank being on only 6-8 hrs a day to prevent algae.

BTW: congratulations on your clear water. I obsessed by that crystal clear, polished look in the water of both my current tanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

I have a Coralife 9v UV sterilizer piped into the outflow pipe of my canister. I don't know that it is absolutely necessary for clear water but to me every little bit helps. UV will not prevent algae that attaches to things. It only treats things suspended in the water. It will not allow you to run your lights longer either. The ones that fit in the tank and are movable are only good for green water, nothing else really. The bigger units usually have a chart in their paperwork that shows at what flow it will sterilize different things. Mine shows at full flow it will treat green water algae, at half flow(of my filter) it will get bacteria and at real slow <25% flow it will kill most pathogens. I've found that with doing regular water changes, clean filters and balanced light and ferts its more of a luxury than a necessity. I also found you can put it on a timer and run it only eight hours a day just as good as running all the time. This way your bulb will last much longer. Hope this helps. OS.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
I have a Coralife 9v UV sterilizer piped into the outflow pipe of my canister. I don't know that it is absolutely necessary for clear water but to me every little bit helps. UV will not prevent algae that attaches to things. It only treats things suspended in the water. It will not allow you to run your lights longer either. The ones that fit in the tank and are movable are only good for green water, nothing else really. The bigger units usually have a chart in their paperwork that shows at what flow it will sterilize different things. Mine shows at full flow it will treat green water algae, at half flow(of my filter) it will get bacteria and at real slow <25% flow it will kill most pathogens. I've found that with doing regular water changes, clean filters and balanced light and ferts its more of a luxury than a necessity. I also found you can put it on a timer and run it only eight hours a day just as good as running all the time. This way your bulb will last much longer. Hope this helps. OS.

That's quite interesting, I wish mine gave that sort of info on flow rates vs what it will treat. I only run mine for 8 hrs a day as well. I've found it does improve water clarity for sure. I've still had diseases (although maybe it was helping) so it might not be the best model.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
Thanks Old Scales. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Looks like I won't be needing one at this time.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

UV Sterilisers

I'm with OS on this subject - belt and braces along side good aquarium maintenance.
I opted for an in line UV steriliser, it's between one of the filter outlets and the return pipe to the tank. I was pushed for space and bought the Aqua Medic Helix 11W. The theory is that the water is spun around the UV Tube as it travels it's length thus having more exposure time with the water. This makes the unit nearly half the length of the standard unit. I run mine 24/7 because it's only on one filter and that runs at 1/2 speed to help kill/ damage pathogens. My other filter works flat out to improve water movement.
I have my doubts that continually turning the UV tube on and off extends its life a great deal. My electronics background makes me believe that using your UV for 1/3 of the day will not extend the bulb life by a factor of 3. Also, at the reduced flow rate required to damage pathogens I wonder if the tank volume turn over rate for just 8 hours a day will be effective enough.
Just food for thought!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have also read a lot about UV improving Redox. Very complicated - all about missing electrons and stealing the back. Oxidised minerals are thus returned to there prior state which is good for the fish.
Too oversimplified? Probably'
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotJudd View Post
I have also read a lot about UV improving Redox. Very complicated - all about missing electrons and stealing the back. Oxidised minerals are thus returned to there prior state which is good for the fish.
Too oversimplified? Probably'
I could never figure that out. Still meaning to get a better meter from the hardware store to test.

I run a separate internal UV unit pretty much so I don't have to worry about flow rates. It hides pipes but does take up a bit of space.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com