Uv sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anybody know anything about UV Sterilizers?

Are they good for freshwater tanks?

Will they help the water stay clear?

Their good for freshwater, they can keep your fish from disease and keep algae In check.

But so can regular water changes.

I've used one and I never saw a difference in water quality or fish health. Imo save your money and spend it on something that's actually needed.

Well if your doing your weekly waterchanges I don't think you would see a difference.

I have 2 running in my 60g...one in the filter and one actually in the tank and I have never had anything but crystal clear water, I have noticed they help a lot during an algae bloom, if you have chronic cloudy water (water changes and whatnot should take care of that though)...all they do is take the water in, run it by a UV bulb and kills all the bacteria and parasites in the water, I haven't had any fish deaths or cloudy water as I said...so I guess I would recommend one.

Thank you, you all have been much help!

I was skeptical before I bought mine but I really like it. No sick fish since I added it and the algae that I have hasn't been able to spread. I have the 24w green killing machine, I think it was $79 at petsmart

I was skeptical before I bought mine but I really like it. No sick fish since I added it and the algae that I have hasn't been able to spread. I have the 24w green killing machine, I think it was $79 at petsmart

How big of a tank? My tank is 30 gallons. I was going to get the 9 watt, do u think that's good enough for my tank?

How big of a tank? My tank is 30 gallons. I was going to get the 9 watt, do u think that's good enough for my tank?

Yes yes yes. The 9W is perfect for that tank. I have the 9W on my 60g and it works great. I also have a friend hi has only one 9W in their 75g, and before they put it in there the water was green so that you couldn't see through it, then after they out it in it was crystal clear in 2 days. Plus they are a lot bigger than they seem, the 24W would be such an eye sore in that tank

Yes yes yes. The 9W is perfect for that tank. I have the 9W on my 60g and it works great. I also have a friend hi has only one 9W in their 75g, and before they put it in there the water was green so that you couldn't see through it, then after they out it in it was crystal clear in 2 days. Plus they are a lot bigger than they seem, the 24W would be such an eye sore in that tank

Sounds good. Is there anywhere I can get a good deal on one? 9w at petco and petsmart is 19.99 which isn't bad, but it doesn't come with the pump.

Sounds good. Is there anywhere I can get a good deal on one? 9w at petco and petsmart is 19.99 which isn't bad, but it doesn't come with the pump.

I got mine from Amazon for $48 with pump and all. There is one on eBay for $24.50 plus $12.50 shipping currently with 6 bids...anywhere else I found them for $50 or more.

Ok thanks! Ill prolly do eBay. It looks like I can get one for 39.99 and free shipping. Thanks again everyone!

Haha yea on a 30g the 24w would be gigantic, you'll love the 9w. But just for the record I have my 24w in a 75g and I think I hid it pretty darn good haha

Attachments

• image-1018490526.jpg
    image-1018490526.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-117023123.jpg
    image-117023123.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 61
Haha yea on a 30g the 24w would be gigantic, you'll love the 9w. But just for the record I have my 24w in a 75g and I think I hid it pretty darn good haha

Wow!!! Yea you did. Looks like a nice tank.

That is a nice tank Zim. Love the Angels in there! If I am not mistaken, isn't it a bit if a community tank?

Thanks guys! Yes it's a community tank I guess haha. I have a few angels, a GBR pair, glowlights, some really pretty swordtails I bred, 2 clown loaches, striata and angelicus loach

Thanks guys! Yes it's a community tank I guess haha. I have a few angels, a GBR pair, glowlights, some really pretty swordtails I bred, 2 clown loaches, striata and angelicus loach

Yeah I was scrolling through your pics of it and saw swordtails and GBR's and Angela and all so i figured it was a community. Very nice tank though!

Zim - gorgeous plants! Do you run C02? What are your lights?

Thanks! No co2, just excel and for lights I just have a coralife dual t5ho and a single marineland hidden LED bar I use for the evenings so I can still see the fish and for moon lights. Okay sorry OP, I'm done stealing the thread

Back
Top Bottom