UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are they worth having? If so, what size/brands are the best for a 60 gallon 48"x13"

what are the pros and cons if any?

Pros: kills algae/green water, CAN kill parasites, Bactria ect(if water flows slow enough threw it for good uv exposer). Provides water clarity

Cons: bulbs can be expensive depending on what brand u get. Not really any cons to be honest. A lot of people claim it can kill bb. Being as bb is not floating around in the water, I say false. Maybe if you disturbed ur bb but i disagree.

Pros: kills algae/green water, CAN kill parasites, Bactria ect(if water flows slow enough threw it for good uv exposer). Provides water clarity

Cons: bulbs can be expensive depending on what brand u get. Not really any cons to be honest. A lot of people claim it can kill bb. Being as bb is not floating around in the water, I say false. Maybe if you disturbed ur bb but i disagree.

In order to kill nasties in the water column the space from the glas to casing (whee the water flows) should be no more than 3mm, it must have the proper flow ratio for the wattage and be long enough so the water is in contact with the light for long enough to be able to kill off the nasties. Otherwise all there good for is algae. There is a great article on them on americanaquariumproducts.com.

Last edited:
Yes, even though they try to push their own product, its still very good information. And their product does look quite good anyways and I plan to buy one soon

Back
Top Bottom