UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the advantages of a UV Sterilizer. I had one for my two ponds for over 10years and never had a sick fish.

I hope someone answers this question because I am thinking of getting one and would love to hear what folks think of them, too!

I think it depends on what you want it to do. I run one in the tank and seems to improve the water clarity.

Despite being expensive for here, infections have come and gone so it's not a magic bullet.

I like mine. I got it for extra water clarity also. I got the Coralife 9v and hooked it inline to my Fluval 206 canister outflow pipe. I put it on a timer so it runs only 8 hrs at night. This will triple your bulb life which it recommends replacing every 6 months. With the timer I go to a year. Replacement bulb for me is $28. This is on a 29g standard tank. OS.

I too have a UV steriliser (my daughters bought it me for Christmas - excellent present).
I too noticed improved water clarity but I wanted one as a precautionary measure against excessive bacteria and parasites as I can't easily medicate my tank due to the mix of fish and shrimps. So far I have been pleased. One fish sustained an injury which started to get fungus but the fish fought it off without medication. Could be a coincidence but I believe the water condition is generally improved, particularly as the redox is improved by UV. I did read up about redox but all I can say is that it's good for fish. Very complicated chemistry stuff - not my strongest subject.
On balance, I would say UV can only bring good things to your tank but the choice of wattage and water flow will dictate how effective it will be.
Hope those ramblings are of some use.

I have one and have no complaints. It helps with water clarity I believe and eliminates some free floating algae spores so I think they also help keep algae down.

Back
Top Bottom