UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got an internal uv sterilizer because of an algae problem in my tank. I asked people for some beneficial bacteria and it got here it looks great my cycle was almost done too. So I took out an spare marine land penguin filter(smallest one they carry) and when I plugged it in it didn't even make a sound it wasn't even working I checked the impeller and everything. BUT I'm getting a sterilizer tomorrow and wondering if I could stick one of these on the intake valve
because technically the bacteria wouldn't die because they aren't in CONTACT with light but very close to it.

So basically to summarize I want to use the uv sterilizer as a powerhead with or without bulb.
BTW all of this would be done AFTER my cycle

Last edited:
So you are trying to put some preseeded media as a prefilter to a UV sterilizer.

If that's correct, I think it would be counter productive. The beneficial bacteria would only stay in the seeded media because the sterilizer would kill it all without distributing it to your tank.

Do you have green water?

If you just have algae attached to surfaces in your tank a uv sterilizer won't help with that.

You should look at why you have algae rather than trying to just combat it with a uv sterilizer. Also, you'll be looking at a UV clarifier, not a sterilizer. It all works in relation to dwell time, so given that you'll be using it as a clarifier I'm not sure you'll have enough dwell time for the beneficial bacteria to be killed. What is the wattage and how many gph is flowing through?

If you're trying to just use it as a powerhead though...just buy a powerhead. If you're trying to use it as a clarifier, make sure you have green water rather than just algae forming. If it isn't free floating algae spores then the clarifier isn't going to do anything as it will only effect the water that passes through it. Look at your lighting, plants, fertilizers, and make sure it's not just a bacteria bloom.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What's the point of getting a uv sterlizer if you're not going to use the uv sterilizer?? Power head would move water and take up less space. Use the uv, it will clear up your green water, it will not harm your bb unless it's in direct contact and even then I'm not sure it matters. My cannister has a built in uv.. no biggie..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im going to use the uv sterilizer for algae but im using itmonce cyclemis done so i dont mess with the bacteria

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You won't mess with the bacteria, the bacteria are glued to the ceramics I sent, they're not going swimming any where;) just leave them in the filter, run the uv and the tank will be cycled by tues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

K thanks i think cycled my konday its almost cycled

My gosh this device i meant to say it might be cycled by monday cuz the tank is almost done

Back
Top Bottom