UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
I`ve been looking on the internet as my aquarium water has always been a little unclear and i`ve foudn many place relating to uv sterilizer. Are they good for my 75 Gallons aquarium and what are the pro and cons ?

thanks.

I have been running a 9w aquamedic on my tank for two weeks. Have it plumbed to the out put of my cannister filter. At first I ran it during lights on only and still had algae. Last week switched to 24/7 and the algae is gone and the water is sparkling clear. I love it. My recommendation would be to be sure the max flow rate of the uv is compatible with your filter. The cons in my opinion are another piece of hardware to maintain(some uv's have a wiper to clean the quartz sleeve) and more power consumption. But at this point whose counting(other than my wife)

Good Luck!

Pros: Can really kill the algae! (and other nasties)
Cons: Bulbs have to replaced every 6 months or so, a pain to clean.

In short, you can't go wrong with a UV sterilizer. travis made some good points.

thanks ! I already went and buy one. The only thing now is that there is a part missing in the box ( actually the bulb protector which goes at the end of the buld ) so i have to go back to big als to get the piece... darn me i should always check the stuff in the boxes. thank for your input.

by the way i bought the same one as travis. 9w aquamedic helix.

you know what? They didn't pack the bulb protector in mine either. I ordered it online and have been running it without it. Let us know how it works!

geez.. i`m kinda hesitating right now if i should go or not... if you tell me that there are not included in the box... it seem a mistake from the factory. I decided to use it without the protector. I dont want to waste gaz going back to the fish store. It's rather far from my house.

I've been running it for three weeks now and as far as I can see the only time to be aware of is when you decide to clean the sleeve. which reminds me... if you have this spliced into the output of a cannister filter heres a tip... I have mine mounted so that the power cord and bulb mount screws into the bottom, when it comes time to clean the quartz sleeve place a big bucket underneath and carefully unscrew the bulb, set that safely aside and now pull the sleeve out with a little twist, water will now drain into the bucket. Better I think than having to remove all the connections.

Indeed thanks for the tip i have mounted it in a way the i can access it easily.
the only thing bothering me with that uv sterilizer is that there is no LED or anything telling you that your unit is working. The only thing i found was to touch the tube and see if it is hotter that normal.

Back
Top Bottom