UV STERILIZER -- Always ON or NOT ??????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I leave the UV light on-- all the time or intermittently ???????????????????

I believe it is on full time or put it on a timer to run 12 hours a day

Unless you think you need it on all the time, I'd leave it off during the day and turn it on during the night.

They don't last all that long, and turning it on at night eliminates outside heat sources...plus it might make the tank look cool. heh

Under no circumstances should a UV bulb be turned on outside the device it is designed to work in. The ultraviolet radiation emitted from the bulb is very dangerous and is designed to disrupt the dna sequences in bacteria and parasites thus shortening there life cycle significantly. That is kind of how it works. This in turn means that if you were to look at the uv light without eye protection the uv would seriously damage your corneas and could possibly make you go blind in worst case. Its the same thing that happens with a really bad sun burn and your skin starts to peel. It does not feel to good! And if exposed directly to the tank would have very serious effects on your livestock. Thats why no uv sterilizer is made with a clear casing.

As far as being on for 24 or 12 hours its up to you. I always ran mine 247, but you may find 12 works better.

Back
Top Bottom