UV Sterilizer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was feeling antsy and bought a UV Sterilizer. I've been looking it up and going through this website to figure out what type of flow rate I'll need to achieve level 1 sterilization but I'm not sure if I have it figured out correctly. I'm planning on buying a second canister filter to run the UV on so I can run the water through some mechanical filtration before it hits the UV.

It's a 36 watt compact UV, I know it's large but I couldn't find the 18W one, and it's going on a 150 gallon aquarium. So say it's 20 gph per watt to obtain level 1 sterilization, I will need a canister rated at 720 gph...a little more to compensate for the loss of going through the filter pads, correct? If I wanted to go for level 2 sterilization at 8-10 gph per watt...so roughly 300-360 gph, do you think there would be any adverse side effects when it comes to my plants or fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also if you have a recommendation of a canister or some other method of getting water through the UV that will allow me to prefilter, by all means mention it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom