UV-Sterilizer in Freshwater????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idealconcepts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. The used fish tank I purchased was originally a saltwater and I am converting it into a freshwater tank.. The tank came with a heater, wet/dry, two pumps, UV-Sterilizer, stand, hood, canopy, and lights. I cleaned and made sure everything works except the UV-Sterilizer, I wasn’t planning on using it for freshwater and would like to get peoples opinions on using it and what the benefits and/or negatives to using it. From what I understand it kills parasites/bacteria?, it will help with reduction in algae?, will it reduce my nitrates? I have heard the bulbs last approximately a year and are pricey anywhere from $30 to over $100, depending on what model I have. Is the UV-Sterilizer worth the $ each year to purchase a bulb? I will be mainly housing American (south and central) Cichlids and a Arowana. All comments and suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance. :)

I don't know why you'd want one. Vast majority of us run on normal bulbs just fine I think. And I can't imagine killing bacteria being a good thing - they are necessary for cycling! Cichlids are hardy creatures, I personally wouldn't bother.

Actually....the use of a UV Sterilizer for freshwater has been tried on a number of occasions. It works just fine...the same way it does on marine tanks...because there are very few living organisms (plant, animal, protist or bacterium) that can survive an extended dose of the UV wavelengths emitted by the bulbs in those sterilizers. It will NOT, however, reduce your nitrate levels nor will it affect your water's chemical parameters in any positive nor negative way.

As for the necessity of using a UV Sterilizer....obviously it isn't necessary because millions of people keep freshwater tanks without using any UV equipment. Can you use it?? Of course you can.

Thanks AJ and Fruitbat. I'm leaning towards not using the UV-Sterilizer in order to cut down on cost.

Back
Top Bottom