UV Sterilizer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SynoSteff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone,

I have a system of 6 tanks all running off of a single pump/filter system. All the tanks have Synodontis catfish in them. I have a UV sterilizer but am not to sure about it so I have a few questions.

First of all, if the water flowing through it turns off for a few minutes will the thing burn out? Or is it ok? Cause all my tanks work with an overflow system and the pump in the sump has a float switch and turns off overy now and then.

Also, if the thing will burn out i'm going to have to get it a dedicated pump. What is the recommended flow rate through a sterilizer? Can it be too slow?

Thanks

SynoSteff :D

SynoSteff said:
What is the recommended flow rate through a sterilizer? Can it be too slow?

The recommended flow rate is going to depend on the brand and wattage of the UV. As to the burning out question, it should be fine but you might want to double check with the company that makes it.

If it helps, I had a 8 watt coral life turbo-twist and the flow rate was 55 gpm to kill everything in the water, faster if you only want to get rid of algea. And it didn't get very hot even without water running through it.

Back
Top Bottom