UV sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have been having an algae problem and considering a uv sterilizer but know nothing about them I have an 80 gallon how many watts will I need and type ?

I assume the more powerful the bulb...the more it kills the bugs. From the research I did, I really came down to intensity and especially contact time. They make inline UV filters I could put on my 405, but that thing pumps water through so fast I didn't see how it would have much time to treat the water as it passed through. The "Green Killing Machine" I linked was actually recommended by Mr. Limpet after he used one...and I've seen some positive reviews online. I believe it has spiraling water flow so the light contacts the water for a maximum amount of time. I know the 9v one is sold in chain stores...but it's got a pretty high markup compared to online.

So does this one hook up to a canister or is it an in tank system I really don't care either way I just need to nip this in the bud before I go crazy I have a cleaning OCD and this tank is driving me nuts lol

ryan-peddle said:
So does this one hook up to a canister or is it an in tank system I really don't care either way I just need to nip this in the bud before I go crazy I have a cleaning OCD and this tank is driving me nuts lol

It's an independent, internal filter with it's own powerhead I believe.

Sorry man, I forgot...did you realize you had green water, or you just trying to control algae in general? I know you said it was a bit hazy...did you put it in a white cup and see if it was definitely green?

I dipped a white breeder net in the water and it came out with a green tinge just the blue light makes it look hazey instead of greenish

I fought green water off for almost a month. I did 15-20% pwc's every couple days and even did a 4 day blackout without much success. What ended up working was using Seachem Clarity (warning-it will stain your ceramic bio-media) at a double dose and running poly-fil in my canister at the same time. I can't explain how it worked...but it did. I've never regained 100% clarity...but hopefully with the awesome advice I got from fort (I think I linked you the thread) it'll be a thing of the past. I might be imagining it...but after only one day of following his instructions...I swear I can see a difference with the hair and green spot algae.

But yeah...green water sucks, lol.

You've probably seen it a hundred times, but just incase-
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/

Yeah I got a mix of green dust and green water it sucks big time I will have to rinse my media every water change cause it's green too errrrrr but I will try that clarity stuff

Back
Top Bottom