UV sterilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you really need a uv sterilizer? How many jave them and have worked wonders?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use one on my showpiece tank. But they are not necessary. It does work great though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

UV sterilizer are primarily used to eliminate free floating diseases and algae. Green water as just an example.

They are by no means necessary. I could not see a difference in water quality when I used one but I see no downside other than needing to replace bulbs.

Some say it's powerful enough to kill BB (for those filters with built in UV) but that depends on the UV Rating.

I used a SunSun one.

Caleb

I use one on my reef tank that I got to combat green water. It worked great. Now that the green water is gone its pretty useless though.

They arent at all necessary.

In my eyes it seems it may mask any problems that may arise in a tank. Is it just a crutch?

Its in tank?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have one that sits in the tank and is a separate uv unit. I like that one as the flow rate is geared to the uv bulb as one unit. I hope!

The other uv bulb I have is part of the canister filter (bought by accident). I'm dubious this one does much as I have a high flow rate canister filter. This seems contradictory with the low flow rates needed for uv bulbs as I understand. Maybe it works fine, I'm just not convinced.

I've looked at inline uv filters but don't like cutting hoses in case I get a leak and it's all wood furniture around the tank.

In my eyes it seems it may mask any problems that may arise in a tank. Is it just a crutch?

I think it's like power steering. Nice assistance but if your depending on it, then perhaps a problem. In FW anyways. I'll probably keep mine going so maybe biased :)

I've also wondered what happens if the uv filter kills off eg some bacteria populations but not others (that are free floating). Does this cause an issue?

I have one connected to a Rio 180 turned down a little on a reef. I don't have it on, but if I do I run it at very very slow speeds as this is where UV is most effective.

Are they more useful for a reef (compared to FW)?

Presumably, in all tanks they could aid in cutting down on the spreading of algae by killing the free floating algae in a tank before it anchors down on a spot. I don't have a clue on how much this could truly help though.

Do you really need a uv sterilizer?

I think they are far more "necessary" in outdoor ponds, where the light cannot be strictly controlled by a timer. Breaks in the photo period are effective tools at preventing algae growth in freshwater. I'm not sure about reefs, since I understand they require very long periods of light. (makes sense, the sun rises at like 5am in the tropics).

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think they are far more "necessary" in outdoor ponds, where the light cannot be strictly controlled by a timer. Breaks in the photo period are effective tools at preventing algae growth in freshwater. I'm not sure about reefs, since I understand they require very long periods of light. (makes sense, the sun rises at like 5am in the tropics).

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 we have just installed one on my fathers pond after years of green water. I bought him one as a Father's Day present. It's working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently bought one that attaches inside the tank separately from the filter. It has a pump that pumps water through the case with the bulb inside and then back out. I've noticed my algae has been reduced since I installed it and I just have the water flow back out near the bottom to keep the water at the bottom moving and any debris moves towards my filter intake.

I recently bought one that attaches inside the tank separately from the filter. It has a pump that pumps water through the case with the bulb inside and then back out. I've noticed my algae has been reduced since I installed it and I just have the water flow back out near the bottom to keep the water at the bottom moving and any debris moves towards my filter intake.

That's a good point. I have mine running when co2 is on, so it would be pushing the water around a bit (main canisters are off).

Back
Top Bottom